Understanding Velocity in Standing Waves | Wave Motion Homework"

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a standing wave formed by the superposition of two sinusoidal waves. The question arises about the velocity of the wave, but since it is a standing wave, it has no velocity in the x direction. The conversation then moves on to discussing a general solution for the wave equation of a string of length L, and the existence of stationary waves on the string. The solution is found by separating variables and setting a separation constant, k. The conversation also touches on Fourier analysis and the use of sums to solve the wave equation. Ultimately, the focus is on finding an expression for g(t) and clarifying the role of f(x) in the solution.
joe:)

Homework Statement

1)I'm analysing a standing wave formed by superposition of Asin(kx-wt) and Asin(kx+wt) so it becomes 2Asinkxcoswt

It asks me to comment on the velocity of this wave. But I thought it was a standing wave - so it has no velocty in the x direction..

So what is its velocity - what does it mean physically - is it just 0? Or w/k? thanks

2) I'm given that general solution of wave equation of string length L can be written as the sum from r=0 to r=infinity of Arsin(xrpi/L)sin(r pi c t /L) + Brsin(xrpi/L)cos(r pi c t /L)

Then I'm told that stationary waves y=f(x)g(t) exist on a string length L.

I'm told f(x) = Asin(kx) I'm told to find an expression for k and find an expression for g(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to solve 2) to be honest..

I thought the f(x) would have to be an infinite sum and k = r pi / L where r is any integer..

I'm a bit confused..any help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 2 delves into a little Fourier analysis, so if you're familiar with that at all try thinking in that direction.

As for the expression, you can use separation of variable to arrive at forms for the solution.

The wave will be described by the infinite sum of f(x)g(t) so the f(x) is actually only a component.

Edit:
I've absent mindedly forgot to mention that you should look at the wave equation as well, should help you a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks..

We haven't done Fourier yet..

I'm not sure how to find the expression by separation of variables..could you explain please? How will f(x) just be a constant A times sinkx? surely its an infitite sum? Confused :S

Also any ideas on Q1?

Q1 I'm not really sure.

Fourier is actually pretty easy but I bet this one can be done without.

Separation of variables is a method of solving partial differential equations. The idea is that you have PDE that describes what you're looking at (in this case you're interested in the wave equation). You assume a solution f(x,t) = g(x)h(t) and plug that into your PDE. Then you separate terms so that you only have one variable of each type on one side, so all the x's on one side and all the t's on the other. You can then set each side of the PDE to a separation constant (this is your k) and solve the ordinary differential equation.Though to be honest, the above is probably far more than you're actually being asked. I think that if you look at the equation for number 2 a bit longer you'll see that you can actually just match terms and pull out a g(t). Just look at what you can factor out and remember that sums are valid solutions.

sorry..i really can't see it at the moment...? I swear the expression for f(x) should be an infinite sum too?

thanks for your patience

It's not. You have the right k.

Try factoring f(x) out the given equation. Remember the solution is f(x) times g(x).

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion is the transfer of energy through a medium without the transfer of matter. This is achieved through the propagation of a disturbance or vibration, which travels through the medium in the form of a wave.

2. What are the different types of waves?

There are three main types of waves: mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, and matter waves. Mechanical waves, such as sound waves, require a medium to travel through. Electromagnetic waves, like light and radio waves, do not require a medium and can travel through a vacuum. Matter waves, also known as quantum waves, describe the motion of particles at the quantum level.

3. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

In transverse waves, the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. Examples of transverse waves include light and water waves. In longitudinal waves, the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation. Sound waves are an example of longitudinal waves.

4. How are wave speed, frequency, and wavelength related?

Wave speed, frequency, and wavelength are related by the equation v = fλ, where v is the wave speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of wave motion?

Wave motion has many real-life applications, including communication technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones, medical imaging techniques like ultrasound and MRI, and seismic waves used to study the Earth's interior. It is also essential in fields like acoustics, optics, and electronics.