Wave Problem (time for a point to move half a wavelength)

In summary: The equation for moving a point between two displacements states that the distance between the two displacements, x, is the sum of the squares of the two displacements, y_1 and y_2. So, if you want to move a point from displacement y=+2.0 mm to displacement y=-2.0 mm, the distance between the two displacements would be (y_2 - y_1)/(2A)* 0.5λ = 1/6 λ. This is equivalent to saying that the x-coordinate of the point would be (y_2 - y_1)/(2A)* x = 1/6 λ.
terryds

Homework Statement

If a wave y(x, t) = (6.0 mm) sin(kx + (600 rad/s)t + θ) travels along a string, how much time does any given point on the string take to move between displacements y=+2.0 mm and y=-2.0 mm?

Homework Equations

ω=2πf (but it's not necessary in this problem, this problem just requires algebra, I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a point to travel between y=+2.0mm to y=-2.0mm, the distance x is (y_2 - y_1)/(2A)* 0.5λ = 1/6 λ (This is what I think since if it's 6.00mm (amplitude) to -6.00mm (-amplitude) it'll be 0.5λ)

So, x_2 = x_1 + (1/6) λ

So, I write equation for (x_1,t_1) and (x_1 + (1/6) λ, t_2)

6 sin(kx_1 + 600t_1 + θ) = 2 => kx_1 + 600t_1 + θ = arc sin (2/6) ...... (1)
6 sin(k(x_1 + λ/6) + 600t_2 + θ) = -2 => kx_1 + π/3 + 600t_2 + θ = arc sin (-2/6) ...... (2)

Subtracting (2) and (1), we get

600 (t_2 - t_1) + π/3 = -0,6796

t_2 - t_1 = -2.8781 * 10^-3 sWhere did I get wrong? Why t_2 - t_1 is negative though I have relate x_2 to x_1?
I see the solution manual the answer is 0.011 s, but it assumes that x_1 = x_2, and it subtracts (1) and (2), NOT (2) and (1). I really don't get it. As long as the time ticks, the position of the point changes so the x changes, right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
I see the solution manual the answer is 0.011 s, but it assumes that x_1 = x_2, As long as the time ticks, the position of the point changes so the x changes, right ?

A point on the string is defined by a single x-coordinate. If you have two different x-coordinates then you have two different points on the string.

PeroK said:
A point on the string is defined by a single x-coordinate. If you have two different x-coordinates then you have two different points on the string.

So, does it mean that x-coordinate of point traveling in a wave doesn't depend on the time? I'm confused.

Or, does the x in the wave formula means the initial x-coordinate (t=0) of a point, not x-coordinate as function of t?

terryds said:
So, does it mean that x-coordinate of point traveling in a wave doesn't depend on the time? I'm confused.

Or, does the x in the wave formula means the initial x-coordinate (t=0) of a point, not x-coordinate as function of t?

If you have a wave in a string, each point in the string moves up and down. That is, each particle in the string is moving up and down. The string itself isn't moving in the direction of the wave.

PS
##y = f(x, t)## tells you the "vertical" displacement, ##y##, of each point in the string, ##x##, at each time, ##t##.

Likes terryds
terryds said:

The problem statement says
terryds said:
how much time does any given point on the string take to move between displacements y=+2.0 mm and y=-2.0 mm?

Likes terryds

FAQ: Wave Problem (time for a point to move half a wavelength)

1. How do you calculate the time for a point to move half a wavelength?

The time for a point to move half a wavelength can be calculated by dividing the wavelength (λ) by the speed of the wave (v). This can be represented by the equation: time = λ / v.

2. What is the significance of knowing the time for a point to move half a wavelength?

Knowing the time for a point to move half a wavelength can help us understand the behavior of waves and how they interact with different mediums. It can also be useful in various applications, such as in the field of optics and in studying the properties of sound waves.

3. Can the time for a point to move half a wavelength be different for different types of waves?

Yes, the time for a point to move half a wavelength can vary for different types of waves. This is because the speed of the wave and the wavelength can differ depending on the medium in which the wave is propagating.

4. How does the amplitude of a wave affect the time for a point to move half a wavelength?

The amplitude of a wave does not affect the time for a point to move half a wavelength. This time is solely dependent on the wavelength and the speed of the wave.

5. Can the time for a point to move half a wavelength be negative?

No, the time for a point to move half a wavelength cannot be negative. This is because it represents the time it takes for a point on a wave to complete half of a cycle, and time cannot be negative.

Back