1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave propagation

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone, Im going to do a paper that has something to do with wave propagation in a medium, but Im new in this area, so can you guy suggest any book or paper on introduction to the propagation of wave in fluid, my have a solid background in mathematics and mechanics , thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since no one else more qualified is responding I will take a stab at it; I have looked at your other posts and it seems like you are at the graduate level for physics. I would first recommend looking in your library to see what works for you.

Recommendations may depend upon what aspects you are interested in and how much detail you would like. Fluid Mechanics by Landau and Lifshitz has a lot on waves - including acoustic waves, surface waves, and internal waves - but is neither elementary nor short. I took a class that used this as the secondary text and thought that it was okay.

A shorter, easier to read presentation is in Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter and Walecka, which has a two chapter sequence on acoustic and surface waves that is straightforward and well presented. I really like it. It does not include internal waves, though, which may or may not matter to you.

jason

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Lighthill, Waves in Fluids (Cambridge University Press).

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Mar 20, 2014 #5
    Fundamentals of Physical Acoustics by David T. Blackstock. Any good physical acoustics book will explain wave propagation in various media.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted