1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave question

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    set t=pi/50 and find the points where the wave interferes constructively and destructively

3. The attempt at a solution

So I tried to take the derivative of y1 and y2 added together and set it equal to zero.

[tex] 120*sin(\frac{2 \pi}{5}-30x) = 120*sin(\frac{2 \pi}{5}+30x)[/tex]

then I took out the 120 on both sides, but I am not sure what to do from their exactly. I tried to take the arcsin a few different ways but I couldn't get anything concrete.

I know the answer is [tex] x= \frac{\pi}{60}+\frac{2 \pi n}{30} [/tex] for constructive
    and [tex] x= \frac{n \pi}{30} [/tex] for destructive

this makes sense to me since the period would be 2pi/30 but I don't get how they actually got there. Could someone point me in the right direction
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2
    Since both of these waves have the same amplitude and the same angular frequency when they interfere they will give 0 for destructive interference and wave*2 for constructive.

wave1 + wave2 = 0 happens when?

how does the constructive go?

think about what a phase really means
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?