Constructive and Destructive Interference of Waves at pi/50 Time - Find Points

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the problem involves finding the points of constructive and destructive interference for two waves with the same amplitude and angular frequency. The solution involves setting the sum of the two waves equal to zero for destructive interference and twice the amplitude for constructive interference. The resulting equations for the points of interference are x=pi/60+2pi n/30 for constructive and x=npi/30 for destructive. The key to solving this problem is understanding the concept of phase.
Tom McCurdy

Homework Statement

y1(x,t)=4*cos(20*t-30*x)
y2(x,t)=4*cos(20*t+30*x)
set t=pi/50 and find the points where the wave interferes constructively and destructively

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to take the derivative of y1 and y2 added together and set it equal to zero.

[tex] 120*sin(\frac{2 \pi}{5}-30x) = 120*sin(\frac{2 \pi}{5}+30x)[/tex]

then I took out the 120 on both sides, but I am not sure what to do from their exactly. I tried to take the arcsin a few different ways but I couldn't get anything concrete.

I know the answer is [tex] x= \frac{\pi}{60}+\frac{2 \pi n}{30} [/tex] for constructive
and [tex] x= \frac{n \pi}{30} [/tex] for destructive

this makes sense to me since the period would be 2pi/30 but I don't get how they actually got there. Could someone point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both of these waves have the same amplitude and the same angular frequency when they interfere they will give 0 for destructive interference and wave*2 for constructive.

wave1 + wave2 = 0 happens when?

how does the constructive go?

think about what a phase really means

Last edited:
?Firstly, it's important to note that the given equations represent waves traveling in opposite directions with the same frequency and amplitude. This means that when they intersect, they will either add constructively (creating a larger amplitude) or destructively (canceling each other out).

To find the points where the waves interfere constructively or destructively, we need to set the two equations equal to each other and solve for x. This is because at these points, the waves will have the same displacement (y) and therefore will either add or cancel each other out.

So, setting y1(x,t) = y2(x,t) and substituting t=pi/50, we get:

4*cos(20*(pi/50)-30*x) = 4*cos(20*(pi/50)+30*x)

Simplifying and using the cosine addition formula, we get:

cos(4pi/5 - 30x) = cos(4pi/5 + 30x)

For constructive interference, cos(4pi/5 - 30x) = cos(4pi/5 + 30x) = 1, which means that 4pi/5 - 30x = 4pi/5 + 30x + 2n*pi (where n is an integer). Solving for x, we get:

x = (4pi/5 - 4pi/5 - 2n*pi)/60 = (2n*pi)/60 = n*pi/30

So, the points where the waves interfere constructively are x = n*pi/30, where n is an integer.

Similarly, for destructive interference, cos(4pi/5 - 30x) = cos(4pi/5 + 30x) = -1, which means that 4pi/5 - 30x = -(4pi/5 + 30x) + 2n*pi. Solving for x, we get:

x = (4pi/5 - 4pi/5 - 2n*pi)/60 = (-2n*pi)/60 = -n*pi/30

So, the points where the waves interfere destructively are x = -n*pi/30, where n is an integer.

In summary, the points where the waves interfere constructively are x = n*pi/30 and the points where they interfere destructively are x = -n*pi/30, where n is an

1. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a wave with a higher amplitude. This happens when the peaks of the waves align with each other.

2. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a lower amplitude. This happens when the peak of one wave aligns with the trough of the other wave.

3. How does interference affect the amplitude of a wave at pi/50 time?

At pi/50 time, the waves will either be in phase (constructive interference) or out of phase (destructive interference). In the case of constructive interference, the amplitude of the resulting wave will be higher than the individual waves. In the case of destructive interference, the amplitude of the resulting wave will be lower than the individual waves.

4. How can I find points of constructive and destructive interference at pi/50 time?

To find points of constructive interference, look for locations where the waves have the same phase and are in phase with each other. To find points of destructive interference, look for locations where the waves have opposite phases and are out of phase with each other.

5. Why is pi/50 time significant in the study of interference of waves?

Pi/50 time is significant because it represents a specific point in time where the waves have a certain phase relationship with each other. This allows us to study the effects of interference at a specific time and understand how the waves are interacting with each other.