Mirror Reflection of a Wave: Analyzing the Outgoing Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses an incoming plane wave in (1+1)D Minkowski spacetime and its reflection off a mirror. The outgoing wave has a different form and the question is asked about its general expression. The solution is explained in two steps, involving directionality and matching function values at the mirror. For a mirror at constant velocity, the expression reduces to a simpler form with two Doppler shifts.
cedricyu803
Hi,

In (1+1)D Minkowski spacetime, with coordinates (t,x),

let's say there is an incoming plane wave of frequency [tex]\omega[/tex],
[tex]\phi_{in}(t,x)=e^{-i\omega (t+x)}[/tex].

There is a mirror, [tex]x=z(t)[/tex]

It reflects the incoming plane wave and emits an outgoing plane wave.

Question:
why is the outgoing wave
[tex]\phi_{out}=e^{-i\omega (2\tau_u-u)}[/tex],
where
[tex]u=t-x[/tex],
[tex]\tau_u-z(\tau_u)=u[/tex],
i.e. it is the retarded time.
??

For mirror at constant velocity v, this reduces to

[tex]\phi_{out}=e^{-i\omega\frac{1+v}{1-v}\cdot u}[/tex],
the two Doppler shifts are obvious.

But how can I prove the general expression?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I look at this as a 2-step problem.
Step 1. Ensure proper directionality
##\phi_{in} = e^{-i\omega(t+x)}## so the reflection will be headed in the opposite direction
##\phi_{out} = Ae^{-i\omega(t-x)}##.
Step 2. Match function value at ##x=z(t)## i.e. enforce continuity at the mirror.
##\phi_{in}(\tau,z(\tau)) = e^{-i\omega(\tau+z(\tau))} = Ae^{-i\omega(\tau-z(\tau))}=\phi_{out}(\tau,z(\tau))##
Solving for A gives:
##A = \frac{e^{-i\omega(\tau+z(\tau))}}{e^{-i\omega(\tau-z(\tau))}} = e^{-i\omega (2 z(\tau) )}##

For the constant velocity term, it looks like ##\tau## and ##z(\tau)## can be determined by v, and some simplification is applied.

RUber said:
I look at this as a 2-step problem.
Step 1. Ensure proper directionality
##\phi_{in} = e^{-i\omega(t+x)}## so the reflection will be headed in the opposite direction
##\phi_{out} = Ae^{-i\omega(t-x)}##.
Step 2. Match function value at ##x=z(t)## i.e. enforce continuity at the mirror.
##\phi_{in}(\tau,z(\tau)) = e^{-i\omega(\tau+z(\tau))} = Ae^{-i\omega(\tau-z(\tau))}=\phi_{out}(\tau,z(\tau))##
Solving for A gives:
##A = \frac{e^{-i\omega(\tau+z(\tau))}}{e^{-i\omega(\tau-z(\tau))}} = e^{-i\omega (2 z(\tau) )}##

For the constant velocity term, it looks like ##\tau## and ##z(\tau)## can be determined by v, and some simplification is applied.
Oh right!
Thanks!

1. What is a mirror reflection of a wave?

A mirror reflection of a wave is when a wave hits a flat surface and bounces back in the opposite direction, creating a reflected wave. This is similar to how light bounces off a mirror.

2. How is the outgoing wave analyzed?

The outgoing wave is analyzed by using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the wave hits the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the wave bounces off the surface). The properties of the incoming and outgoing waves, such as amplitude and wavelength, can also be compared and studied.

3. What factors affect the reflection of a wave?

The reflection of a wave can be affected by the properties of the incoming wave, such as its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. The angle at which the wave hits the surface also plays a role, as well as the properties of the surface itself, such as its smoothness and material.

4. How is the reflection of a wave useful in real life?

The reflection of a wave has many practical applications, such as in the field of optics. It is used in mirrors, telescopes, and other reflective surfaces to create images and magnify objects. It is also used in sonar and radar technology to detect objects and measure distance.

5. Can the laws of reflection be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the laws of reflection can be applied to all types of waves, including light waves, sound waves, and water waves. This is because the behavior of waves is governed by the same principles, regardless of their type or source.