Calculating Wave Speed and Wavelength for a Vibrating String

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave speed and wavelength of a vibrating string under tension. The formula v=λ/T is mentioned, and the person confirms their calculation of v=sqrt[400N/(500g/m)] = .029, but is unsure if they are on the right track. The expert points out an error in units and suggests using Newton as a unit instead of gram.
ddsMom

Homework Statement

A long string with a mass/length of 500g/m is placed under a tension of 400N. The string is then vibrated up and down with a period of .425sec.

What is the wave speed?

What is the wavelength of the resulting wave?

I have no idea where to beginI would really like to learn this. It's been 20+ years since I have taken a Physics course.
Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin other than this formula:

v=λ/T

I would really like to learn this. It's been 20+ years since I have taken a Physics course.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
what resource are you using? (textbook, on-line notes, ??)
...(here are some very brief notes : http://www.science.marshall.edu/foltzc/211t9.htm )

generally to get a speed, you square root a (Force term divided by an inertia density).
tweak the density so that the units come out right for speed.

sqrt[T/(m/L)].

Likes 1 person
I did use v=sqrt[T/(m/L)]

so I got v=sqrt[400N/(500g/m)] = .029

Am I on the right track?

Changed my g to kg. Thank you so so much for confirming.

ddsMom said:
I did use v=sqrt[T/(m/L)]

so I got v=sqrt[400N/(500g/m)] = .029

Am I on the right track?

No. You have made error in calculating square root.

Likes 1 person
right track, but off by a UNITS error ... recall that Newton is composed of kilo-gram, not gram. (N=kg m/s²)
Always include the units that any numerical value multiplies; kg should cancel inside the sqrt.

Likes 1 person

What is the relationship between wave speed and length?

The speed of a wave is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the wave speed also increases. However, this relationship is only true for waves traveling through the same medium.

How is wave speed calculated?

The speed of a wave can be calculated by dividing the wavelength by the period. The period is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to pass a fixed point.

What factors affect the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. Factors such as temperature, density, and elasticity of the medium can impact the speed of a wave.

Can the speed of a wave be changed?

Yes, the speed of a wave can be changed by altering the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. For example, the speed of sound waves can be changed by changing the temperature or density of the air.

What is the relationship between wave speed and frequency?

Wave speed and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wave speed decreases and vice versa. However, this relationship is only true for waves traveling through the same medium.