Wave Speed As a Function of Tension

In summary, when trying to solve for a and b in equation (4.3), you need to use exponents on both sides to match.
neoking77

Homework Statement

This is a question from my lab manual
v=Cmu^aT^b (4.3)
Use dimensional analysis of equation (4.3) to determine the exponents a and b.

Homework Equations

i know that the proper equation is
v=sqrt(T/mu)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dimensional to get some sort of exponent of 1/2 and -1 for mu in there...but not much luck. can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

m/s = (kg/m)(kgm/s^2)
m/s = kg^2/s^2
ms = kg^2
sry...i've always been bad at dimensional analysis x_x any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
sry forgot to say
mu is mass per unit length of the wire

neoking77 said:
sry forgot to say
mu is mass per unit length of the wire

okay, so

m/s = (kg/m)^a* (kgm/s^2)^b

and simplifying this:

m/s = kg^(a+b)*m^(b-a)*s^(-2b)

now using the exponents of kg, m and s on both sides... try to get some equations and solve for a and b.

by using exponents on both side, do u mean to raise m/s to the power of (a+b)(b-a)(-2b)??

neoking77 said:
by using exponents on both side, do u mean to raise m/s to the power of (a+b)(b-a)(-2b)??

no. you need the exponents to match on both sides...

what is the exponent of kg on the left side? what is the exponent of kg on the right side?

now i get it! thanks so much!

the ansr i got was a=-1/2 and b=1/2, which is in accordance with
v = sqrt(T/mu)

Last edited:
neoking77 said:
now i get it! thanks so much!

the ansr i got was a=-1/2 and b=1/2, which is in accordance with
v = sqrt(T/mu)

yup. Looks good!

1. What is wave speed as a function of tension?

Wave speed as a function of tension is a physical phenomenon that describes the relationship between the speed of a wave and the tension of the medium it is traveling through. It states that as the tension of the medium increases, the speed of the wave also increases.

2. How does tension affect wave speed?

Tension affects wave speed by altering the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. When tension is increased, the particles in the medium are pulled closer together, resulting in a higher frequency and shorter wavelength. This in turn increases the speed of the wave.

3. What is the formula for wave speed as a function of tension?

The formula for wave speed as a function of tension is v = √(T/μ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension of the medium, and μ is the linear density of the medium. This formula is known as the wave speed equation.

4. How does wave speed vary with tension?

As mentioned earlier, wave speed increases as tension increases. This is because higher tension results in a more rigid and dense medium, allowing the wave to travel faster through it. However, there is a limit to this relationship and once the tension reaches a certain point, further increases may not have a significant effect on wave speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of wave speed as a function of tension?

There are many real-world applications of wave speed as a function of tension, including musical instruments such as stringed instruments, where the tension of the strings affects the pitch and sound produced. It is also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of waves in structures such as bridges, cables, and ropes. Additionally, this concept is crucial in fields such as acoustics and seismology, where the speed of sound and seismic waves are affected by tension in the medium they travel through.