1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefront and wave - are they same?

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    wavefront and wave -- are they same?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Revered members,

Are the terms wavefront and wave are similar?
    For example, in my attachment AC is incident wavefront. Perpendicular lines drawn from A and C, are incident waves. So those blue lines are mentioned as incident waves. May i get help from this forum to know the difference between wavefront and wave

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: wavefront and wave -- are they same?

The picture shows an incident wave (going in) and a scattered wave (coming out). Each of these waves has (infinitely) many wavefronts. A harmonic wave (sines and cosines) is determined by its phase. The wavefront of a harmonic consists of all the connected points in space at a given time where the harmonic wave has the same phase. Wavefronts that are separated in space by a wavelength, have the same phase.

Does this answer your question or did I manage to confuse you even more?

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3

Thanks for the reply. But i dont understand anything. Sorry sir

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

At the beach, waves approach the shore at approximately 90 degrees. The wave-fronts are parallel to the beach.
    One could argue that a surfer rides a wave front, not a wave.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in maths and physics, a wave covers the whole of space (or the whole river, or whatever)

but in ordinary English, a wave is just one continuous crest of the whole thing …

so a wave (eg on the sea) in ordinary English is the same as a wavefront in maths and physics :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook