Calculating Wavelength: Finding the Formula with 10cm Between Phases

In summary, the formula for wavelength can be found by relating frequency, wavelength, and velocity. The units for frequency, wavelength, and velocity must be the same in order to solve for the wavelength.
Brittykitty
If I am given the measurement of 10cm between phases what is the wavelength? I couldn't find the formula for it in my book :S help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Brittykitty said:
If I am given the measurement of 10cm between phases what is the wavelength? I couldn't find the formula for it in my book :S help?

Depends on the wave velocity, right?

You should be able to find the equation that relates Frequency, Wavelength and Velocity.

Or, you can just figure it out by their units:

Frequency is in 1/seconds, or Hz

Wavelength is in meters

Velocity is in meters/seconds

Since the units have to be the same on both sides of an equation, what do you think you divide by what to get what?

Calculating wavelength involves using the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. In this case, the given information of 10cm between phases does not provide enough information to determine the wavelength. The formula requires the frequency of the wave, which is not provided in the given information. Additionally, the speed of light can vary depending on the medium the wave is traveling through. I suggest consulting a more comprehensive resource or reaching out to a colleague or instructor for assistance in finding the appropriate formula and variables needed to calculate the wavelength.

What is the formula for calculating wavelength?

The formula for calculating wavelength is: λ = c/f, where λ is wavelength in meters, c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s), and f is frequency in hertz (Hz).

How do I use the wavelength formula?

To use the wavelength formula, simply plug in the values for c and f and solve for λ. Make sure to use consistent units (meters for wavelength, meters per second for speed, and hertz for frequency).

Can the wavelength formula be used for any type of wave?

Yes, the wavelength formula can be used for any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves.

Is there a different formula for calculating wavelength in different mediums?

Yes, the formula for calculating wavelength in a different medium is: λ = v/f, where λ is wavelength, v is the velocity of the wave in the medium, and f is frequency.

What are some real-world applications of the wavelength formula?

The wavelength formula is used in many areas of science and technology, such as telecommunications, astronomy, and medical imaging. It is also used in everyday devices like radios and microwave ovens.