1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength nature of light: magnesium Fluoride

1. Jul 19, 2003 #1

Dx

Hi!

In terms of magnesium fluoride what is the minimum thickness of mag fl coating that must be applied to a glass lens to make it non-reflecting for that wavelength? (the index of refraction of magnesium fluoride is intermediate to that of air and glass)

1/2 wavelength out of phase to eliminate reflection. why is this wrong? I usd the formula t = [lamb] / 4n. I used the minimum thickness (m=0) since the destructive interference will occur over the widest angle. Plz help? Or it this a trick question and there is no minimum thickness, huh?
    Dx :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously, they mean the minimum nonzero thickness. "Zero thickness" means that there is no film at all.

4. Jul 19, 2003 #3

Dx

Re: Re: Wavelength nature of light: magnesium Fluoride

Its not that obvious Tom since thats not one of the answers. I understand what your saying so I need to figure out the different wavelengths then, huh?
    Dx :wink:

5. Jul 19, 2003 #4
    You are right. The minimum thickness of the coating is given by t=[lamb]/4n. I think you did an error in calculations. Check it please.

6. Jul 20, 2003 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, sorry. I didn't know what m was, and I thought you chose the thickness to be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?