Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Wavelength of Cooper pairs

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    Do the de Broglie wavelengths of Cooper pairs, in a superconductor, overlap one another, over distances of say hundreds, or thousands of lattice spacings?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2016 #2
    Unfortunately I typed the above question just before leaving a coffee shop, and didn't mean to say it that way. I've long known that Cooper pairs of opposite spin form boson states due to phonon interaction over 100 to 1000 lattice spacings, and that because there are many intervening mobile electrons that Cooper pairs change partners constantly over a distance of up to 1000 lattice site spacings, as their wavefunctions overlap.

The question I had in mind was.is it possible for the wavefunctions of Cooper pairs much more distant apart than 1000 lattice sites, say 100,000 lattice sites (or more) to interact with one another?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted