1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelengths and Balmer series

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the Balmer series, how many spectral lines have the wavelength greater than 400 nm?

2. Relevant equations

1/lambda= R(1/2^2-1/n^2)
    lambda=wavelength
    r=rhydberg constant 1.097x10^7
    n= 3,4,5....
    balmer series is visible light
    3. The attempt at a solution

ok so i know the balmer series starts with 400 nanometers because its visible light, but i dont understand how to see how many spectral lines have wavelength greater.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You could just look up the Balmer Series in a book or on the web and count them.
    Or use the formula to calculate the wavelengths - put in n=3, calculate. Put in n=4, calculate. Pretty soon you will have all the wavelengths you need!

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    ok. but when i do the calculating up to what number do i go? because i thought it went from 2 on.

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, it does go on forever - 2 to infinity. But after calculating 2 or 3 wavelengths, you will see that you don't have to do very many of them the answer your question.

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    o ok i got it. wavelength decreases when you increase n
    thanks appreciate your response

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook