1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves high school question -- Book answers are totally rubbish

1. Dec 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q Provide an explanation for the following statements.

STATEMENT 1 The captain on an ocean ship is proceeding slowly into waves coming towards the ship. He notices that the waves change in two ways about 200 m ahead of where the ship is located. The waves get further apart and change direction quite noticeably.

My answer
    The water 200m ahead is deeper and this explains why the wavelengths have increased (waves get further apart). The change of direction of the water waves is because the shallower ocean water (where the ship is presently located) has met the deeper water at an oblique angle and changed direction.

Book answer
    The water gets shallower 200 m ahead = 1 mark

STATEMENT 2 An observer is standing on the bank of the river. The wind is blowing from left to right and waves moving from left to right. However, he sees a small piece of wood that is moving from right to left as it floats in the middle of the river.

My answer

In the middle of the river there may be a sudden change in depth of the water so that the waves change direction so the wood is now travelling right to left. Also there may be superposition of various waves sizes in the windy weather and when the depth changes so the wood is now travelling right to left.

Book answer

The current is going right to left = 1 mark

2. Relevant equations
    Waves section in book

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've put answers immediately after the question in this thread because it flows easier / is easier to read.

I think my answers are good though not certain about STATEMENT 2.
    I think the book answers are rubbish and the book answer to STATEMENT 1 is wrong.

Please tell me what you think.

Seasons greetings, happy New Year to you all.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2
    I think the questions have little value in teaching physics to students or to anyone else.

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    I don't know why you say this. The questions are checking understanding that wave change direction when water depth changes.

5. Dec 25, 2015 #4
    If they are addressing the issue of waves changing direction when the depth changes then they should reference that in the question. The questions are vague and it's not clear that that is the physical principle that's the focus of the questions.

You say the answers are rubbish. I say the questions are rubbish. That's my professional opinion.

6. Dec 25, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@Barclay , I agree with you on statement 1 except here:
    That makes it sound as though the waves are coming from behind the ship.

I agree with the book on statement 2. Surface waves do not propel objects along (unless they catch a wave and stay with it a while). The wind can blow floating objects along, but the wind is unlikely to be locally blowing in a different direction.
    @Mister T , I feel the questions have value in getting students to apply physical principles to the real, messy, everyday world. In the river question, the student has to think outside the narrow confines of wave theory and consider what else might affect the movement.

7. Dec 26, 2015 #6
    Yes your're correct because the question clearly says "... ship is proceeding slowly into waves coming towards the ship". The question is just worded incorrectly (I think). I think the way the question has been worded means that there's no possible answer (at basic physics level).

8. Dec 26, 2015 #7
    I've just re-read what you've said and may be I should have written: The water 200m ahead is deeper (and heading towards the ship) and this explains why the wavelengths are larger ("...waves get further apart"). The ship is presently sitting in shallow water. The deeper water has met the shallower water (at an oblique angle) and changed the direction of the water waves

9. Dec 26, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The water may not be heading towards the ship; it could be stationary, or heading toward or away from the ship (due to currents, etc.). The question said the waves are heading toward the ship, and waves can move quickly without the water moving horizontally very much at all.

10. Dec 26, 2015 #9
    Its getting more and more complex. The book I'm sudying has picture like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FAgA6-CHYr8/TR8ON92vf7I/AAAAAAAAAsw/HfuRdJPuHQk/s1600/defrac.bmp

so thats why my answers are as they are.

What do you think of my answers now, based on the pictures shown. I need them to be worthy of 9/10 marks. This really is not homework. Its personal study so no one can help me too much. Thanks

11. Dec 26, 2015 #10
    In the real, messy, everyday world of educating students these questions won't have that desired outcome.

12. Dec 29, 2015 #11
    Hello, I need to refresh this thread please so I'm going to make it colorful & magnify words in an attempt to make it attractive and draw attention .... but not so bright that it stops looking like a physics forum. Please no one complain. Thanks

I still need help with the questions.

Q Provide an explanation for the following statements.

STATEMENT 1 The captain on an ocean ship is proceeding slowly into waves coming towards the ship. He notices that the waves change in two ways about 200 m ahead of where the ship is located. The waves get further apart and change direction quite noticeably.

My REVISED answer
    The water 200 m ahead is deeper (and heading towards the ship) and this explains why the wavelengths are larger ("...waves get further apart"). The ship is presently sitting in shallow water. The deeper water has met the shallower water (at an oblique angle) and changed the direction of the water waves (and this is where the ship is sitting). How good is my answer .... out of 3 marks?

Book answer
    The water gets shallower 200 m ahead = 1 mark ..... is this this book answer wrong? Its meant to be a 3 mark question but the book gave itself 1 mark. The answer I'm pretty sure is wrong anyway . The water 200 m ahead is deeper NOT shallower.

*******************************************************************************************
    STATEMENT 2 An observer is standing on the bank of the river. The wind is blowing from left to right and waves moving from left to right. However, he sees a small piece of wood that is moving from right to left as it floats in the middle of the river.

My answer
    In the middle of the river there may be a sudden change in depth of the water so that the waves change direction so the wood is now travelling right to left. Also there may be superposition of various waves sizes in the windy weather and when the depth changes so the wood is now travelling right to left.

Book answer
    The current is going right to left = 1 mark ................. doesn't that mean the waves are travelling from right to left?
    The waves make the piece of wood bob up and down= 1 mark .............. I say whats that got to do with the question
    But they do not move it along = 1 mark ........... if there is a current it must surely move the wood along

No idea what this means. How can waves move yet not move horizontally?

Ever so grateful for further assistance

Barclay

The book I'm sudying has picture like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FAgA6-CHYr8/TR8ON92vf7I/AAAAAAAAAsw/HfuRdJPuHQk/s1600/defrac.bmp

13. Dec 29, 2015 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think I just figured out where the confusion arises in Q1. It's the word "becomes". From whose perspective? We all took it to be from the captain's (or ship's) persepctive, i.e. as he looks beyond the transition he sees the waves further apart. But if from the perspective of the waves, it would mean they become further apart as they cross the transition on the way to the ship.

On question 2, as I indicated in post #5, I agree with the book.
    Waves are not created by the current directly, they are created by the difference in velocity between the current and the wind. In the present case, you are told the wind is left to right. The waves go left to right because the wind does. This tells you little about the current; that could be going either way, or still. (It does tell you that the current is not going right to left faster than the speed of the waves relative to the water.)
    If you create waves in still water (by a paddle, say, so no wind here) a floating object will stay in place overall, just bobbing up and down. If you could make visible a parcel of water at the surface you would see that also not moving on average. It would describe a circle in a vertical plane. At the top of the circle it moves with the wave, at the bottom against it. The bobbing object does the same. See e.g.
    If the waves are created by wind, there will be a tendency for the wind to drag the floating object in the same direction. But here we are told the floating object is going the other way. The current is the most likely explanation.

14. Dec 29, 2015 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You say "No idea what this means. How can waves move yet not move horizontally?"

Well, if you will mis-read what I said then it is no wonder you are confused. I said: the WAVES move (say from West to East), but the water hardly moves at all, except up and down. When waves move, "energy" is travelling through the water but the water itself is not going anywhere very much. (Actually, out in deep water individual water molecules move in a more-or-less circular orbit, so they come back to their starting point after the wave has passed.) Of course, this breaks down when waves wash ashore, as you can plainly see when you view videos of the Boxing Day Tsunami in Thailand, and the Japanese Tsunami of more recent times. This is due to the fact that the water starts off elevated in altitude, so has to actually flow downhill--- that being on shore in the tsunami case.

15. Dec 29, 2015 #14
    So are you saying I'm correct : the waves are further apart (greater wavelength) 200 m away therefore they must be in deep water (not shallower water as the book said) ?

Thanks for finding the video and other comments but its getting beyond my book level .... no circular wave motion is discussed. Only shallow water = slow waves with shorter wavelengths and deep water = fast waves with long wavelengths

16. Dec 29, 2015 #15
    Thanks for helping out again. I'm going to look at another text book because I feel I'm missing information so that's why I'm not understanding. I don't mean to waste your time.

17. Dec 29, 2015 #16
    Stay away from USA high school physics textbooks. College level are much much better.

18. Dec 29, 2015 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

no, I'm saying the question as given is ambiguous. We all read it one way, but the intended meaning was the other. The waves become further apart as they approach the ship. That is, the waves are further apart where the ship is now than they are further away.

19. Dec 30, 2015 #18
    Hello again, thanks for helping me out. I've got to get this right but I can't make sense of it.

The book answer is that the "the water gets shallower 200 m ahead". This means what you've written above is correct:

because they must be in deeper water now for the waves to be further apart.

BUT you've written .......
    ....... but they are still 200m away from the ship. For the Captain to interpret the waves 200m away to be further apart must mean he's sitting on water where are waves are not so far apart i.e his ship is sitting on shallow water (slow water).

Please Haruspex ..... I think my problem may be that I'm not reading the question properly. As you say .......
    So would you be so kind to re-write the question as it should be written . Then I may see what you're seeing.

That'll be go good for me because right now I'm losing confidence on this whole wave thing. Will help me know that I'm at least thinking the right way. Will be soo helpful

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  20. Dec 30, 2015 #19
    Part 2 of the question about the wood floating around .......... circular waves have been mentioned .... that's just too far into high level physics .... grateful though I am for your explanations I really can't consider circular wave motion. Its nowhere in my text. In my books waves are just in SHALLOW WATER (at slow speed and small wavelengths) or DEEP WATER WAVES (fast speed, large wavelengths).

Can someone help with part 2 of the question without talking about circular waves.

21. Dec 30, 2015 #20
    The river flows from right to left, carrying the small piece of wood with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted