Two Questions on Waves and Polarised Light

In summary: Not experiment. I meant that in any system using waves for example radio waves, they would use pulses to avoid interference if they used waves. What I didn't understand was the difference between pulse and waves.
Air
I have two questions that are slightly unrelated to each other which has confused me while I was doing revision.

So I understand that if waves are transmitted (e.g. radio waves) then some interference would occur and not be able to give perfect result for any experiment conduced so pulses are used. What are pulses? How do they differ to a wave?

Also, when talking about polarised light, many question ask to draw how polarised light differs from unpolarised light and I draw it like this:
Light.jpg

But one mark is awarded for showing vibration and oscillations on the diagram, how do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:
So I understand that if waves are transmitted (e.g. radio waves) then some interference would occur and not be able to give perfect result for any experiment conduced so pulses are used. What are pulses? How do they differ to a wave?

That's a little ambiguous to answer.. what kind of experiments are we talking about here? Pulses of light are essentially packets as opposed to a continuous wave-train.

Air said:
But one mark is awarded for showing vibration and oscillations on the diagram, how do I do that?

You have already shown that in your diagram by having arrowheads at each end. Most diagrams I have seen display unpolarised light as you have drawn.

EDIT: I suppose you could say that the centre of your diagram is the propagation axis, that may clarify it further.

astrorob said:
That's a little ambiguous to answer.. what kind of experiments are we talking about here? Pulses of light are essentially packets as opposed to a continuous wave-train.

Not experiment. I meant that in any system using waves for example radio waves, they would use pulses to avoid interference if they used waves. What I didn't understand was the difference between pulse and waves. You said they are packets, what do you mean by that? :confused:

1. How do waves propagate?

Waves propagate by transferring energy from one point to another without transferring matter. This can occur through various mediums such as air, water, or solids.

2. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

In transverse waves, the direction of oscillation is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while in longitudinal waves, the direction of oscillation is parallel to the direction of propagation.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does polarisation occur in light?

Polarisation occurs when light waves are filtered or reflected in a specific direction, causing them to vibrate in only one plane. This can happen naturally through certain materials or can be artificially created through polarising filters.

5. What are some real-life applications of polarised light?

Polarised light has various applications in everyday life, including in sunglasses to reduce glare, in LCD screens to control light transmission, and in 3D movies to create a sense of depth. It is also used in scientific research and medical imaging techniques.