Finding Frequencies for Wave Sum Vanishing at x=0,L

In summary, the conversation is about finding a second wave with the same frequency as the first wave that will cancel out at certain points. The person has attempted to solve the problem and is looking for different opinions and approaches. The key to solving the problem is factoring out certain factors and considering the fixed phase speed and frequency.
JuanYsimura
1. Homework Statement

Write a wave in one space dimension as ARe(ei(kx-wt-d))where A is the
amplitude of the wave. Find a second wave of the same frequency such that
the sum of the two vanishes at x = 0 and x = L. Assuming the wave velocity
c = w/|k| is fixed, for what frequencies ! is this possible?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: I Let x1 = ARe(ei(kx-wt+d)) be wave 1 and x2 = A'Re(ei(kx-wt+d')) be wave 2.
since they vanish at x=0,L, I obtained the following equations:
ARe(ei(-wt+d))+A'Re(ei(-wt+d)) = 0 and ARe(ei(Lk-wt+d))+A'Re(ei(Lk-wt+d)) = 0.
My question is: should I solve this equations and find the frequencies that satisfy this equation ?? Am I in the right path to solve the problems? Id Like to hear different opinions and different approaches.

Thanks,

Juan

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right path.

Two hints:

1. Factor out everything that you can. Some factors can make 0 and others never can.
2. The fixed phase speed c and the fact that the frequency w must be the same for both waves mean there are only a couple possible choices for k'.

FAQ: Finding Frequencies for Wave Sum Vanishing at x=0,L

1. What is the purpose of finding frequencies for wave sum vanishing at x=0,L?

The purpose of finding frequencies for wave sum vanishing at x=0,L is to determine the specific frequencies at which the waves will cancel each other out at the boundaries of the system. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of waves in confined spaces or in constructing systems that require precise wave interference.

2. How is this calculation performed?

This calculation involves solving the wave equation for a specific system with the given boundary conditions. This typically involves using mathematical techniques such as Fourier series or Fourier transforms to express the waves as a sum of sinusoidal functions and then finding the frequencies at which the sum vanishes at the boundaries.

3. What factors can affect the frequencies for wave sum vanishing?

The frequencies for wave sum vanishing can be affected by the shape and size of the system, the material properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling, and the boundary conditions of the system. These factors can alter the wavelengths and amplitudes of the waves, which in turn can affect the frequencies at which they cancel each other out.

4. Can this calculation be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, this calculation can be applied to any type of wave, including electromagnetic, acoustic, and mechanical waves. As long as the waves can be described by a wave equation and the boundary conditions can be defined, the frequencies for wave sum vanishing can be determined.

5. How is this concept relevant in real-world applications?

The concept of finding frequencies for wave sum vanishing has many practical applications, such as in designing acoustic or electromagnetic shielding, creating standing waves in musical instruments, and controlling interference patterns in optical systems. It is also important in understanding the behavior of waves in confined spaces, such as in nanoscale systems or in communication channels.