Weak Ductile Materials: Easily Broken by Traction?

In summary, the speaker teaches their students about brittle and ductile materials and is looking for a ductile material that can be easily broken by traction. They suggest trying electrical solder or solid core solder, and another suggestion is to use putty or modeling clay. They also mention that copper wire can be stretched to its breaking point with just a vice and a couple of tools.
serbring
I teach soil mechanics and I introduce to my students brittle and ductile materials. Failure of brittle materials is obvious for them but not for ductile materials. Do you know any ductile material that can be easily broken by traction? Unfortunately I do not have any tensile testing machine so I can apply just a little traction force with limited weight (less than 30kg). I just want to show to them that the failure plane is not perpedicular to the traction force.Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lead (Pb) .

Likes serbring and billy_joule
+1 Try electrical solder.

Likes serbring and billy_joule
Great ideas! I'll try them! thanks

Try to find solid core solder if you go that route. The flux core will only complicate the fracture point.

BoB

Likes CWatters
Putty or modeling clay.

A step stronger than solder would be copper wire.. something like 14ga solid electrical house wiring is pretty soft, and with nothing more than a vice and a couple tools can be stretched to it's breaking point

1. What are weak ductile materials?

Weak ductile materials are materials that have a low resistance to deformation under tension or stretching. This means that they are easily broken when subjected to forces pulling on them.

2. What are some examples of weak ductile materials?

Some examples of weak ductile materials include rubber, plastic, and soft metals such as lead or tin. These materials have a relatively low strength and can break or deform easily when pulled or stretched.

3. Why are weak ductile materials easily broken by traction?

Weak ductile materials are easily broken by traction because they have a low yield strength, meaning they cannot withstand large amounts of tension without breaking or deforming. When a force is applied to the material, it causes the atoms to shift and slide past each other, eventually leading to fracture or failure.

4. How can weak ductile materials be strengthened?

Weak ductile materials can be strengthened through processes such as work hardening, where the material is subjected to repeated stress and strain to increase its strength, and alloying, where other elements are added to the material to improve its properties.

5. What are the practical applications of weak ductile materials?

Weak ductile materials have many practical applications, such as in the production of plastic products, rubber tires, and soft metal components. They are also used in medical devices and as coatings for other materials to provide flexibility and shock absorption.