Weight and Wheel (Linear and Angular Acceleration)

In summary, the problem involves a bicycle wheel with a block attached to it falling a distance h. The angular speed of the wheel after the block has fallen is found by considering two cases: one where the string is attached to the outside of the wheel at radius ra, and one where it is attached at radius rb. By using the equations K=1/2mv^2, U=mgh, and V=rw, and assuming mechanical energy conservation, the angular speed is found to be w=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))/r for both cases. However, some confusion arose due to not using the correct notation for angular speed.
tizzful
Weight and Wheel ! (Linear and Angular Acceleration)

Homework Statement

Consider a bicycle wheel that initially is not rotating. A block of mass is attached to the wheel and is allowed to fall a distance . Assume that the wheel has a moment of inertia, I, about its rotation axis.
A)Consider the case that the string tied to the block is attached to the outside of the wheel, at a radius ,ra. Find the angular speed of the wheel after the block has fallen a distance h, for this case.
b)Consider the case that the string tied to the block is attached to the outside of the wheel, at a radius ,rb. Find the angular speed of the wheel after the block has fallen a distance h, for this case.

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2 U=mgh Mechanical energy conserved therefore E=K+U
V=rw
Images attached

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)U1+K1=U2+K2
mgh+0=0+1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2
2mgh=mv^2+Iw^2
2mgh=mv^2+I(V/r)^2
(2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I)=v^2
V=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))
w=v/r
w=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))/r

(b) the same? just changing the r values?

I entered that as my answer but it says that it does not depend on the variable m and r but the only way to get rid of them is if the moment of intertia wasn't I.. So now I'm very confused and have no way of figuring out how to cancel them...
Help?
Thank you!:smile:

Attachments

• MRB_ke_a.jpg
    MRB_ke_a.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 857
  • MRB_ke_b.jpg
    MRB_ke_b.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 917
Physics news on Phys.org
tizzful said:

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2 U=mgh Mechanical energy conserved therefore E=K+U
V=rw
Images attached

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)U1+K1=U2+K2
mgh+0=0+1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2
2mgh=mv^2+Iw^2
2mgh=mv^2+I(V/r)^2
(2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I)=v^2
V=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))
w=v/r
w=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))/r
Looks fine to me, but please simplify by canceling that outside r.

(b) the same? just changing the r values?

I entered that as my answer but it says that it does not depend on the variable m and r but the only way to get rid of them is if the moment of intertia wasn't I..
That makes no sense to me. (I assume you've stated the problem completely and that there's no additional information given.)

Oh thank you, it just turned out I wasn't using the greek w and so basically got the question wrong! ugh very annoying!

1. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's rotational velocity.

2. How is weight related to linear and angular acceleration?

Weight is a force that is directly related to an object's mass and the acceleration it experiences. In linear acceleration, weight affects an object's overall motion and speed, while in angular acceleration, weight affects an object's rotation and the speed at which it rotates.

3. How does the location of an object's center of mass affect its linear and angular acceleration?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In linear acceleration, an object's center of mass affects its balance and stability, which can impact its acceleration. In angular acceleration, the location of an object's center of mass determines its moment of inertia, which affects its rotational acceleration.

4. What factors can affect an object's linear and angular acceleration?

Some factors that can affect an object's linear acceleration include its mass, the force applied to it, and any opposing forces such as friction. For angular acceleration, factors such as the object's shape, mass distribution, and applied torque can all impact its rotational acceleration.

5. How are linear and angular acceleration calculated?

Linear acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took to change. Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's rotational velocity by the time it took to change. Both are measured in units of distance per time squared (e.g. meters per second squared).