Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight Watchers cards from 1974

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of the worst ideas (and strangest photography) in the history of low-calorie cuisine:
    http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
    And people say diet food is boring!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I would rather look at your avatar, i am not into fish balls, that melon stuff may
    be ok though, i should not have looked on second thoughts, i can still taste the
    chili i ate two hours ago.

4. Nov 30, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was impressed with the frankfurter spectacular. It really lived up to it's name. A frankfurter - and yet, spectacular.

And then there was "the other white meat". Scary. :bugeye:

5. Nov 30, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: They look like great props for a Halloween party! That should certainly be scary enough. :surprised

6. Nov 30, 2005 #5
    I'm thinking somewhere, some family is passing on down to the third generation..grandmas secret frankfurter spectacular.
    And Wolram, how could you think that mellon mousse bi-lateral implant looking thing would taste good?

7. Nov 30, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

:confused: i would reply, but i don't know how without getting in trouble,
    i am more into vegie burgers nowadays any way.

8. Nov 30, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I thought it looked a bit like a brain. :yuck: Someone remind me about this thread next year for Halloween! Really. I think that brain mousse would be excellent, along with that other green bean, pimiento, mushroom, "looks like worms in blood and dirt" gelatin mold thing. Oh, and the bleeding fish...oh, I mean "onion sauce" would be good too. :rofl:

9. Nov 30, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, man. The jello molds were the most disgusting, weren't they? I haven't seen anything like that since my biology labs. But I remember growing up in the South when jellified things were a big part of our gastronomical culture. You could take any nasty mish-mash of leftovers, cook it up with Knox gelatin, cool it down in a bundt-cake mold or an ice cube tray, and voila - New York City high-society-style elegance! Marshmallows were a frequent ingredient - to add that little extra something.:smile:

10. Dec 1, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Wow, that was really foul. Thanks. :buggrin:

True story: I accidentally opened a can of black-eyes peas (instead of black beans) the other day. I'd never had black-eyed peas before and didn't know what to do with them, but I don't like to waste food... I was going to look up some recipes but didn't have time, so I decided to just wing it when I ate them tonight. Bad idea. I tasted one -- I can't really describe the taste, like peas but drier, mealier, and less flavorful. I thought they might be good with some dill... so I threw some in. Still bad. Salt and pepper. Still bad. Garlic. Nope. I looked on the package and it suggested using them in chili, so I added some chili seasonings. Getting worse. I needed something stronger. Apple cider vinegar (don't ask me why). Much worse and now even runnier. The texture was horrible anyway, so I mashed up some of them. A little olive oil maybe? Oh, I'm so stupid. I realize nothing in the cabinet can help this. What's in the fridge? Mustard. Eek, very bad. Several sauces, more mashing, and I-don't-want-to-remember-what later, I made myself stop and eat some of it (I really hate to waste food), but I had to just throw most of it in the trash. Anywho, it still didn't look half as bad as some of those. Actually, it looked kinda like that melon mousse... if you threw it in a blender for a few seconds.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  11. Dec 1, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Don't anyone ever go to HRWs for dinner :yuck: geez i thought i my mixtures were inventive :biggrin:

12. Dec 1, 2005 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hey, that doesn't count; I was experimenting :biggrin: and short on time and patience. I guess now I'll have to make you a glorious feast just to prove that I can, huh?

13. Dec 1, 2005 #12
    At least she didn't put it in a jello mold:smile: Though I do half to admit, those have got to be some of the worse things Ive heard of done to Black Eyed peas.

14. Dec 1, 2005 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a black-eyed pea fan, HRW? I love 'em. In the South we have a tradition that you have to have black eyed peas on New Years Day if you want to have good luck all year. On Jan. 1, you have to make yourself have at least a teaspoon of them.
    I was thinking about that, too! Yikes!!:rofl: :rofl:

15. Dec 3, 2005 #14

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, I'm willing to give them another chance (and take some of the blame for making them taste horrible in the first place). How does everyone else prepare them?

16. Dec 3, 2005 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm kind of partial to the Hot Wrap Ups. This would be a nice meal, especially if your favorite color was green.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?