How Did 1974 Weight Watchers Cards Influence Diet Food Perceptions?

In summary, some of the worst ideas (and strangest photography) in the history of low-calorie cuisine are: 1) the Frankfurter - and yet, spectacular; 2) the Caucasianshash.scary; 3) the melon stuff may be ok though, i should not have looked on second thoughts, i can still taste the chili i ate two hours ago.I was impressed with the Spectacular.it really lived up to its name.; 4) the jello molds were the most disgusting, weren't they?; 5) using black-eyed peas in chili makes them even worse; 6) apple cider vinegar is the only thing that can save them; and 7) mustard is the worst.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some of the worst ideas (and strangest photography) in the history of low-calorie cuisine:
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
And people say diet food is boring!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would rather look at your avatar, i am not into fish balls, that melon stuff may
be ok though, i should not have looked on second thoughts, i can still taste the
chili i ate two hours ago.

I was impressed with the http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/spectacular.html" . It really lived up to it's name. A frankfurter - and yet, spectacular.

And then there was http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/caucasianshash.html" . Scary. :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
Some of the worst ideas (and strangest photography) in the history of low-calorie cuisine:
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
And people say diet food is boring!
:smile: They look like great props for a Halloween party! That should certainly be scary enough.

I'm thinking somewhere, some family is passing on down to the third generation..grandmas secret frankfurter spectacular.
And Wolram, how could you think that mellon mousse bi-lateral implant looking thing would taste good?

hypatia said:
I'm thinking somewhere, some family is passing on down to the third generation..grandmas secret frankfurter spectacular.
And Wolram, how could you think that mellon mousse bi-lateral implant looking thing would taste good?

:confused: i would reply, but i don't know how without getting in trouble,
i am more into vegie burgers nowadays any way.

hypatia said:
:smile: I thought it looked a bit like a brain. Someone remind me about this thread next year for Halloween! Really. I think that brain mousse would be excellent, along with that other green bean, pimiento, mushroom, "looks like worms in blood and dirt" gelatin mold thing. Oh, and the bleeding fish...oh, I mean "onion sauce" would be good too. :smile:

Oh, man. The jello molds were the most disgusting, weren't they? I haven't seen anything like that since my biology labs. But I remember growing up in the South when jellified things were a big part of our gastronomical culture. You could take any nasty mish-mash of leftovers, cook it up with Knox gelatin, cool it down in a bundt-cake mold or an ice cube tray, and voila - New York City high-society-style elegance! Marshmallows were a frequent ingredient - to add that little extra something.:smile:

Wow, that was really foul. Thanks. :buggrin:

True story: I accidentally opened a can of black-eyes peas (instead of black beans) the other day. I'd never had black-eyed peas before and didn't know what to do with them, but I don't like to waste food... I was going to look up some recipes but didn't have time, so I decided to just wing it when I ate them tonight. Bad idea. I tasted one -- I can't really describe the taste, like peas but drier, mealier, and less flavorful. I thought they might be good with some dill... so I threw some in. Still bad. Salt and pepper. Still bad. Garlic. Nope. I looked on the package and it suggested using them in chili, so I added some chili seasonings. Getting worse. I needed something stronger. Apple cider vinegar (don't ask me why). Much worse and now even runnier. The texture was horrible anyway, so I mashed up some of them. A little olive oil maybe? Oh, I'm so stupid. I realize nothing in the cabinet can help this. What's in the fridge? Mustard. Eek, very bad. Several sauces, more mashing, and I-don't-want-to-remember-what later, I made myself stop and eat some of it (I really hate to waste food), but I had to just throw most of it in the trash. Anywho, it still didn't look half as bad as some of those. Actually, it looked kinda like that melon mousse... if you threw it in a blender for a few seconds.

Last edited:
Don't anyone ever go to HRWs for dinner geez i thought i my mixtures were inventive :biggrin:

wolram said:
Don't anyone ever go to HRWs for dinner geez i thought i my mixtures were inventive :biggrin:
Hey, that doesn't count; I was experimenting :biggrin: and short on time and patience. I guess now I'll have to make you a glorious feast just to prove that I can, huh?

At least she didn't put it in a jello mold:smile: Though I do half to admit, those have got to be some of the worse things I've heard of done to Black Eyed peas.

Not a black-eyed pea fan, HRW? I love 'em. In the South we have a tradition that you have to have black eyed peas on New Years Day if you want to have good luck all year. On Jan. 1, you have to make yourself have at least a teaspoon of them.
hypatia said:
At least she didn't put it in a jello mold:smile:
I was thinking about that, too! Yikes!:smile: :smile:

Okay, I'm willing to give them another chance (and take some of the blame for making them taste horrible in the first place). How does everyone else prepare them?

I'm kind of partial to the Hot Wrap Ups. This would be a nice meal, especially if your favorite color was green.

It's a meal! It's an obsessive disorder! It's both!

Related to How Did 1974 Weight Watchers Cards Influence Diet Food Perceptions?

1. What are Weight Watchers cards from 1974?

Weight Watchers cards from 1974 were part of an early version of the Weight Watchers program, which was founded in the 1960s. These cards were used as a tool to track and monitor food intake and weight loss progress.

2. How were these cards used?

These cards were used by participants in the Weight Watchers program to track the number of servings of various food groups consumed each day. The cards also included points assigned to each food group, which were used to calculate a daily allowance for weight loss.

3. Are these cards still used in the current Weight Watchers program?

No, the Weight Watchers program has since evolved and these cards are no longer used. The program now uses a points system based on a person's age, gender, height, and weight, rather than specific food groups.

4. What were the benefits of using these cards?

These cards allowed participants to easily track their food intake and stay within their daily allowance for weight loss. They also provided a visual representation of progress and helped individuals make healthier food choices.

5. Can these cards still be found today?

It is possible to find these cards as collector's items, but they are no longer used in the Weight Watchers program. The program has undergone many changes and advancements since 1974, making these cards obsolete in the current program.