Weinberg QFT I: Lorentz Transformation with interaction

In summary: When a multiparticle state is in an in state the total boost operator is positive and when it is out state the total boost operator is zero.
SeySchW
Hi,

a few lines below equation (3.1.5) Weinberg writes:
"The transformation rule (3.1.1) is only possible for particles that for one reason or another are not interacting."

I thought a lot about it, but don't see any possible reason. Can you help please?

After a few lines he defines the states [tex] \Phi_{\alpha} [/tex]
then these one should transform like (3.1.1). But why?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe he gives a reason for this in the very next sentence: "Eq (3.1.1) requires among other things that the state has an energy equal to the sum of the one-particle energies with no interaction terms that would involve more than one particle at a time."

"Eq (3.1.1) requires among other things that the state has an energy equal to the sum of the one-particle energies ... and with no interaction terms, terms that would involve more than one particle at a time."

Thank you for the answer, I'm not quite sure, if I understand this argument. So I will rephrase it. In a theory with no interactions we expect that the energy of a multiparticle state is the sum of the single energies. Whereas in an interacting theory this should be different. But I don't understand why this should be the case?

Thanks

SeySchW said:
In a theory with no interactions we expect that the energy of a multiparticle state is the sum of the single energies. Whereas in an interacting theory this should be different. But I don't understand why this should be the case?

But this is the *definition* of interaction! In an interacting theory the Hamiltonian has the form (3.1.8), where H_0 is the sum of single particle energies and V is the interaction potential energy.

Eugene.

Ok this makes sense. But then [itex] \Psi_{\alpha}^{\pm} [/itex] is not a direct product state of one particle states otherwise it would transform like (3.1.1). How can we then define something like the index [itex] \alpha [/itex] for [itex] \Psi_{\alpha}^{\pm} [/itex]?

Beside: Where can I read more about this? I am completely confused.

Thanks

SeySchW,

In interacting theory the total boost operator (3.3.20) is different from the non-interacting boost operator K_0. Therefore, boost transformation laws of n-particle states are different from (3.1.1) in the interacting case. For example, a 1-particle state may transform into a n-particle state under interacting boost.

Eugene.

SeySchW said:
Ok this makes sense. But then [itex] \Psi_{\alpha}^{\pm} [/itex] is not a direct product state of one particle states otherwise it would transform like (3.1.1). How can we then define something like the index [itex] \alpha [/itex] for [itex] \Psi_{\alpha}^{\pm} [/itex]?

Beside: Where can I read more about this? I am completely confused.

Thanks

I think you can view (3.1.13) as the definition of in/out states.

1. What is Weinberg QFT I and why is it important?

Weinberg QFT I, or Quantum Field Theory I, is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields in a relativistic setting. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What are Lorentz Transformations and how are they related to Weinberg QFT I?

Lorentz Transformations are mathematical equations that describe how the coordinates of an event change when viewed from different reference frames in special relativity. They are an important part of Weinberg QFT I as they allow us to understand how particles behave and interact in different reference frames, which is essential in relativistic quantum mechanics.

3. How does Weinberg QFT I incorporate interactions between particles?

In Weinberg QFT I, interactions between particles are described through the use of quantum fields. These fields represent the underlying forces between particles and their interactions are described by mathematical equations known as interaction terms. These interactions are crucial in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions in a relativistic setting.

4. What are the key differences between classical field theory and Weinberg QFT I?

The main difference between classical field theory and Weinberg QFT I is that classical field theory does not take into account the principles of quantum mechanics, while Weinberg QFT I does. This means that classical field theory cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, whereas Weinberg QFT I can. Additionally, classical field theory does not incorporate interactions between particles, while Weinberg QFT I does.

5. How is Weinberg QFT I used in practical applications?

Weinberg QFT I has a wide range of practical applications, including in particle physics, condensed matter physics, and astrophysics. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of subatomic particles, as well as to develop new technologies such as particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories such as the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.