Integrating Complexity: Solving \int \frac{1}{x^n(1+x^n)^{1/n}} \;\mathrm{d}x}

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation involving integrals, but is getting lost and is asking for help.
Rats_N_Cats

Homework Statement

An Integral : [tex]

\int \frac{1}{x^n(1+x^n)^{1/n}} \;\mathrm{d}x}

[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Standard integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware that integrals like this become very easy after a clever substitution...but maybe I'm not that clever :frown: so I can't even start it. If anyone shows me the first step I'll try to take it from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your latex:

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{x^n(1+x^n)^{1/n}} \mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

Last edited:
ideasrule said:
Fixed your latex:

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{x^n(1+x^n)^{1/n} \mathrm{d}x}
[/tex]

have you tried bring the (1+x^n)^(1/n) to the top? It would become (1+x^n)^n.

You've left the dx at the bottom :wink:
but how will it become [itex](1+x^n)^{n}[/itex]? Bringing it to the top will change the sign of the exponent, right?

Rats_N_Cats said:
You've left the dx at the bottom :wink:
but how will it become [itex](1+x^n)^{n}[/itex]? Bringing it to the top will change the sign of the exponent, right?

Yes, I got confused. Sorry about that.

I tried letting xn = t, but that ended up with [tex]
\frac{1}{n} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt[n]{t^2+t}}\:\mathrm{d}t
[/tex], And I don't see how to do it.
Then I tried letting xn+1 = tn, and got something similarly unsolvable. Can anyone tell me what's the right substitution in this case?

Last edited:
Here's something:

[tex]\int x^{-n}(1+x^n)^{-1/n} \mathrm{d}x[/tex]

And integrate by parts from there. Dunno if it works, though. I tried it on W-A and they used a weird substitution within a substitution.

I did that, letting (1+xn)-1/n as first function, and I ended up with :
[tex]
\frac{x^{1-n}}{1-n}\,(1+x^n)^{-1/n} + \frac{x}{1-n} + \frac{x^{n+1}}{1-n^2} + C
[/tex]
Is that correct?

Maybe. I'm too tired to check now. It looks right.

Will anyone please confirm if my answer is correct or not? This problem's been bugging me for quite some time.

try trigonometric substitution

Hello!
What trig substitution can you make? PM me if the OP wants to work it out themselves.
Thanks!

Related to Integrating Complexity: Solving \int \frac{1}{x^n(1+x^n)^{1/n}} \;\mathrm{d}x}

1. What is complexity integration?

Complexity integration is a mathematical process that involves solving integrals of complex functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in various fields of science and engineering to understand and model complex systems.

2. What is the purpose of integrating complexity?

The purpose of integrating complexity is to find the area under a complex function's curve, which represents the total change or accumulation of the function over a given interval. It allows us to study the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

3. What is the formula for solving the integral \int \frac{1}{x^n(1+x^n)^{1/n}} \;\mathrm{d}x?

The formula for solving this integral is \frac{1}{n} \ln\left(\frac{|1+x^n|}{|x^n|}\right) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in the solution?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added to the solution of an integral to account for all possible solutions. It represents the arbitrary nature of the original function and allows for a more general solution.

5. How is complexity integration used in real-world applications?

Complexity integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and understand complex systems. It is used to analyze data and make predictions about the behavior of these systems, which can then be applied to real-world problems and situations.