Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
  • #1,786

Brainy Smurf lives on.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Astronuc, collinsmark, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,787
nsaspook said:

Brainy Smurf lives on.

Goin' out in a blaze of glory.

• #1,788
And the weird part is he lived through it and WALKED to the ambulance.

A cat with nine lives has nothing on that guy!

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,789
Tom.G said:
And the weird part is he lived through it and WALKED to the ambulance.

A cat with nine lives has nothing on that guy!
It's not that unusual. At high enough voltages the air around the body ionizes and conducts the electricity.

• #1,790
Hornbein said:
It's not that unusual. At high enough voltages the air around the body ionizes and conducts the electricity.
And this protects him from a 40 foot fall, how exactly?

• #1,791
phinds said:
Coulombic repulsion.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, Tom.G, BillTre and 2 others
  • #1,792
phinds said:
I have read that one of the worst things you can do when falling is tense up, because it makes it much harder to absorb the impact. My guess would be the shock stunned him and he flopped on to the ground.

(There's a "high tension" joke in there somewhere...)

• #1,793
1716056722856.png

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2024...complaint-over-lack-of-trained-grizzly-bears/

Why do you think the bears just say home now instead of dancing for the tourists.

• Wow
Likes Astronuc
  • #1,795
Tom.G said:
And there is this where a tourist tangles with a Bison.

1716352354779.png

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Tom.G, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,796
4560455.jpg

Parakeets haunt Mainz University​

The green-feathered birds don't even stop at the Mainz Microtron, the particle accelerator at the Institute for Nuclear Physics. Several holes gape in the facade - evidence of breeding holes for ring-necked parakeets, also known as lesser Alexander parakeets. “The caretakers are fighting a pretty unsuccessful battle,” says university employee Detlev Franz. For several years now, the enthusiastic recreational ornithologist has been dealing with the free-living parrots, which have spread in many communities, especially along the Rhine.
https://www.allgemeine-zeitung.de/lokales/mainz/stadt-mainz/sittiche-suchen-mainzer-uni-heim-3613646

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Astronuc
  • #1,797
Tom.G said:
And there is this where a tourist tangles with a Bison.
Yellowstone Darwin Award Competition?

• Haha
Likes Arjan82
  • #1,799
Hornbein said:
I have seen many free parrots in Barcelona and some in Santa Cruz California circa 1990.
They are here in Germany since the late 60s, early 70s. Now there are thousands of them in parks in big cities along the Rhein (because of the climate there). That they inscribe in Nuclear Physics is new.

• #1,800
Astronuc said:
Yellowstone Darwin Award Competition?
I had to think about a dialogue I once read. A park ranger had been asked why they couldn't make the trash cans in the park bear-proven. His answer was, that the intelligence of some bears exceeds the intelligence of some tourists by far.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, dextercioby, nsaspook and 4 others
  • #1,801
fresh_42 said:
I had to think about a dialogue I once read. A park ranger had been asked why they couldn't make the trash cans in the park bear-proven. His answer was, that the intelligence of some bears exceeds the intelligence of some tourists by far.
Well yeah, but to be fair the bears are much more motivated and have a lot more time on their hands.

There are experiments where ravens solve problems that I think some people couldn't do.

• #1,802
Hornbein said:
Well yeah, but to be fair the bears are much more motivated and have a lot more time on their hands.

There are experiments where ravens solve problems that I think some people couldn't do.

Likes Borg and collinsmark
  • #1,803
fresh_42 said:

That's impressive. I think many animals have much more understanding of what is going on than people commonly suppose. Animals have limited ability to communicate what they know, especially anything at all abstract.

• #1,804
Hornbein said:
That's impressive. I think many animals have much more understanding of what is going on than people commonly suppose. Animals have limited ability to communicate what they know, especially anything at all abstract.
The more I learn about animals the less I see a difference between them and a dry-nosed primate who's the only one left of its related versions. You cannot deny that we all evolved on the same planet. We only occupy different niches. So many criteria blew up in the last decades: tools, lying, laughter, grieving, empathy, cooperation with other species, etc. None of those once-assumed distinctions survived.

Likes nsaspook
  • #1,805

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,806
  • #1,807
Judge stunned when man with suspended license joins court Zoom call while driving
https://news.yahoo.com/news/judge-stunned-man-suspended-license-010540156.html
A Michigan state judge appeared shocked when Corey Harris, who was charged with driving with a suspended license, appeared in his court hearing over Zoom for the charges while he was driving. Washtenaw County Judge Cedric Simpson revoked Harris’ bond and ordered Harris to turn himself in at a local county jail the same day. Harris has a pretrial hearing scheduled on June 5, . . .

Maybe he drove himself to jail. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes OmCheeto, collinsmark, fresh_42 and 3 others
  • #1,808
Once again I'm reminded that average IQ means that half the population is below average. Some people work extra hard to check that box. :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's since been revealed that the person wasn't driving with a suspended license. Instead, there was a clerical error in his file that the judge was reading. Still, it's not legal in Michigan to drive during a Zoom call.
Astronuc said:
There is more to this story.
Claim: The Viral Story About a Defendant Driving With a Suspended License Was Fake News
https://www.yahoo.com/news/viral-story-defendant-driving-suspended-202015577.html

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto, BillTre and fresh_42
  • #1,809
Borg said:
Once again I'm reminded that average IQ means that half the population is below average. Some people work extra hard to check that box. :rolleyes:
There is a more realistic reason: He just doesn't care about the law and the authorities.
Even a more frightening reason: He defies them.

Likes BillTre
  • #1,810
Astronuc said:
SUV Explodes in Supermarket Parking Lot After Man Lights Cigarette Near Propane Canisters
https://www.yahoo.com/news/suv-explodes-supermarket-parking-lot-001422382.html
Don't you just hate it when that happens?

In Colorado some years back two gas co. men were tasked with emptying a propane tank next to a gas station. The junior employee accidentally broke the value, causing an uncontrolled release of gas. The two men along with two policemen stood by the tank trying to figure out what to do. The station was closed down and the workers in the convenience store were locked inside. The gas seeped into the store and exploded, obliterating the place. The workers were somewhat burned but as all the shrapnel had flown away from them they were otherwise unharmed. I don't know what traces were found of the four men who had been standing next to the tank.

I have a propane tank inside the house I bought in Bali. When the pressure gets very low it starts to leak. This seems to be routine, as the gauge has a red zone that seems intended to warn of this feature. Hmm, maybe I should do something about this.

• #1,811
jack action said:
There is a more realistic reason: He just doesn't care about the law and the authorities.
Hmm, what is worse? Let's apply logic. I say stupidity is worse. Reason: The not caring or defiant man might change his attitude, improve. The stupid one on the other hand....

Likes nsaspook
  • #1,812
jack action said:
Just in case you're wondering, he wasn't defying....

• #1,813

Maybe lame jokes is a better thread. Just when you think flat earthers as the top echelon of weird, somebody comes along and wins the Grand Master belt for Not Even Nothing.

Likes phinds
  • #1,814
Yee GADS what a moron.

• #1,815
nsaspook said:

Maybe lame jokes is a better thread. Just when you think flat earthers as the top echelon of weird, somebody comes along and wins the Grand Master belt for Not Even Nothing.

What a waste of time, and an embarrassing revelation of educational bankruptcy by T. Howard. We live in times when people publically present their unbelievable amount of stupidity and are proud of it!

• Sad
Likes Astronuc and BillTre
  • #1,816
fresh_42 said:
What a waste of time, and an embarrassing revelation of educational bankruptcy by T. Howard. We live in times when people publically present their unbelievable amount of stupidity and are proud of it!
I prudently avoided listening to this stuff. Better things to do, yes?

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,817

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #1,818
Astronuc said:
Judge stunned when man with suspended license joins court Zoom call while driving
https://news.yahoo.com/news/judge-stunned-man-suspended-license-010540156.html

Maybe he drove himself to jail. :rolleyes:

There is more to this story.
Claim: The Viral Story About a Defendant Driving With a Suspended License Was Fake News
https://www.yahoo.com/news/viral-story-defendant-driving-suspended-202015577.html
It turns out all those stories, however, were based on a falsehood. Harris' license had been reinstated years prior and was only registering as suspended due to a clerical error. As of this writing, there has been no spate of additional articles, corrections, or a reinvigorated news cycle based around this information, because the truth here doesn't lend itself to virality and engagement.

• Informative
Likes nsaspook, Borg, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,819
It turns out all those stories, however, were based on a falsehood. Harris' license had been reinstated years prior and was only registering as suspended due to a clerical error. As of this writing, there has been no spate of additional articles, corrections, or a reinvigorated news cycle based around this information, because the truth here doesn't lend itself to virality and engagement.

I'd say it goes deeper than that. James Carville was, among other things, the chief staffer of Bill Clinton's first campaign. He wrote that the press is very reluctant to publish any corrections. If they get the story wrong they'll stick with it almost no matter what. So it was very important to be available at all times in order to get your view in there first.
----
I just learned that in 1992 James posted a talking point that became the slogan of the 2008 Obama run
  1. Change vs. more of the same.
I'm impressed. A number of other famous sayings came from his pen.

Last edited:
  • #1,820
Spectator fills in for PGA golfer's caddy.
Paul Emerson started out the final round of the RBC Canadian Open as a fan, but spent the middle of it as a caddie for a moment he’ll never forget.

The lawyer from Aurora, Ontario, in Canada went from behind the rope as a fan to carrying the bag of Taiwanese golfer C.T. Pan for two holes on June 2 after Pan’s professional caddie was injured in the middle of the round.