Welcome to Physics Forums: Exploring Orbital Mechanics & Gravity

In summary: The negative sign tells you the force is downward.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force in relation to gravity and how it is represented in equations. The participants also consider the directionality and sign conventions used in different textbooks and coordinate systems. They come to the conclusion that the expression F = -mg can be used in certain cases, depending on the definition of positive force.
Philip Robotic
Hi everyone!

I'm really sorry if I'm using the wrong forum. It's my first time at PF.

I'm pretty new to physics, as I began studying it just two years ago, but I'm really interested in the subject of astrophysics so I bought myself and started reading 'Introduction to rocket science and engineering' by Travis S. Taylor. So far I'm really enjoying it, but at the beginning of orbital mechanics, where the author also shows the basic dynamic equations related to gravity.

And the third one looks weird. It says: F = -mg

And as far as I know, it should look like this: F = mg

Is this a mistake in my book, or there's a specific case in which the F = -mg can be used?

Ps. If I'm using the wrong forum, tell me and I'll copy and delete the thread here and post it on the right one.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Gravity makes massive objects attract each other. The planet attracts the satellite. The force pulls the satellite toward the planet. But the sign about whether a force in that direction is plus or minus is an arbitrary choice.

Does that answer your question?

Likes Philip Robotic
The correct expression is ##\Sigma f=ma##. If they are assuming there is a single external force then ##\Sigma f=f## and if they are further assuming that ##a=-g## then you would get ##f=-mg##

As @anorlunda says, look at the direction of the force and at the direction of the coordinate system to see if the ##a=-g## assumption makes sense.

Likes Philip Robotic
Different textbooks can use different coordinate systems, sign conventions and systems of units, which can affect the form of equations. You have to be aware of the context that the author is working in.

Another detail that students often overlook is whether a quantity in an equation is a scalar (usually italic like ##g##) or a vector (sometimes boldface ##\mathbf{g}## or with an arrow on top ##\vec g## or maybe something else), which can affect which sign is appropriate.

Likes Philip Robotic
Wow, I didn't expect such a quick reply! Thank you very much for explaining! :smile:

If upward (pointing) force is defined as positive, then F = -mg. If downward (pointing) force is defined as positive, then F = + mg. So it depends on whether F is defined as positive upwards or positive downwards. If you describe the force vectorially using unit vectors, you can never go wrong. ##\vec{F}=mg(-\vec{i}_z)##, where ##\vec{i}_z## is the unit vector in the upward (z) direction.

Likes sophiecentaur and rikblok

1. What is orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is the study of how objects move in space, specifically how they orbit around other objects due to the force of gravity. It involves understanding the laws of motion and how they apply to objects in orbit.

2. How does gravity affect orbital mechanics?

Gravity is the force that keeps objects in orbit around larger objects, such as planets or stars. It is the force of attraction between two objects with mass, and it determines the shape, size, and speed of an object's orbit.

3. What are some real-world applications of orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is crucial in understanding and predicting the movements of satellites, spacecraft, and other objects in space. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, astrophysics, and aerospace engineering.

4. How does orbital mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the study of how objects move under the influence of forces, whereas orbital mechanics specifically focuses on the motion of objects in orbit around other objects due to the force of gravity. Orbital mechanics also incorporates the principles of celestial mechanics, which takes into account the effects of other celestial bodies in the universe.

5. What are some common misconceptions about orbital mechanics?

One common misconception is that objects in orbit are weightless. In reality, they are still affected by the force of gravity, but their motion around the larger object creates the sensation of weightlessness. Another misconception is that orbits are perfectly circular, when in fact they can be elliptical or even parabolic depending on the initial conditions and the force of gravity acting on the object.