Welcome to the Tiki Bar lounge
- Thread starter SOS2008
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Box
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
796 replies · 79K views
Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
I had a rather interesting milk shake at a place called Rudy's Can't Fail in the bay area. It was a chocolate and espresso shake with Guinness extra stout in it. It was very tasty. Guinness and chocolate go rather well together.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
I would have never considered it, but since you've given it your endorsement, if I'm ever in the bay area, I'll have to take a look for that place and try one.TheStatutoryApe said:I had a rather interesting milk shake at a place called Rudy's Can't Fail in the bay area. It was a chocolate and espresso shake with Guinness extra stout in it. It was very tasty. Guinness and chocolate go rather well together.
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
I'm not sure if you have a taste for guinness but it's not a very strong taste in the milkshake.
I also found a recipe for brownies made with Guinness once that I still want to try.
Mmmm... Guinness..
I also found a recipe for brownies made with Guinness once that I still want to try.
Mmmm... Guinness..
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Yes, I have a taste for Guinness. Actually, I want more than a taste. The whole pint would be more like it (darn, brewnog must be serving again if all we're getting are these thimblefuls at a time).TheStatutoryApe said:I'm not sure if you have a taste for guinness but it's not a very strong taste in the milkshake.
I also found a recipe for brownies made with Guinness once that I still want to try.
Mmmm... Guinness..![]()
If you find that recipe, PM it to me.
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
I'd look for it now but I have to get going in just a minute or two.
I found it on the Godiva website.
I found it on the Godiva website.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Oooh, on the Godiva site, then it has to be good!TheStatutoryApe said:I'd look for it now but I have to get going in just a minute or two.
I found it on the Godiva website.
Okay, I can just look for it there myself if that's where it is.
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
Here you go Moonie...
=Chocolate Guinness Brownies=
Ingredients:
4 large eggs
3/4 cup superfine granulated sugar
5 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
3 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Ivory Chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Godiva Hot Cocoa Powder, Dark Truffle Flavor
1 cup Guinness stout
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Make Brownies:
1. Position oven rack in center of oven. Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. In heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over low heat, combine dark chocolate, ivory chocolate and butter, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Gradually add to egg mixture.
4. Sift together flour and hot cocoa powder. Gradually beat into chocolate mixture. Slowly whisk in Guinness stout.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.
2CentsWorth
- 15
- 0
I see you left out one ingredient.TheStatutoryApe said:Here you go Moonie...
Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
Hmmmm... I think the pirates would probably fair much better selling that sort of thing, considering that they have those ships transporting, who knows what, from foreign countries and a lack of care for laws and all. 

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,751
- 8
TheStatutoryApe said:Hmmmm... I think the pirates would probably fair much better selling that sort of thing, considering that they have those ships transporting, who knows what, from foreign countries and a lack of care for laws and all.![]()
Avast!
We be avin no smuggling onboard the SS Galenog, that's fer sher! Our only booty is gold, chocolate, Coca Cola, and whatever white rum we can get us hands on! Yarrr!
Ok, ok, we be smugglin whatever ye rascals ask us, if the price be right![/size]
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
You know, I can't find anywhere near by around here to buy Godiva chocolate. Not even the Vons Pavilions has it.Moonbear said:Thanks. :!) :!) That looks like an amazing recipe! I'm going to have to make a trip to the Godiva store to get the necessary ingredients.![]()
I'm sure if I really looked hard enough I could possibly find it somewhere.
And Brewnog, I'm not sure what sorts of exotic ingredients Moonie here may be wantin' but after that plank walkin incident I'm none to sure she wants to be abuyin through the likes of you.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
One of the malls here has a Godiva store.TheStatutoryApe said:You know, I can't find anywhere near by around here to buy Godiva chocolate. Not even the Vons Pavilions has it.![]()
I'm sure if I really looked hard enough I could possibly find it somewhere.
And Brewnog, I'm not sure what sorts of exotic ingredients Moonie here may be wantin' but after that plank walkin incident I'm none to sure she wants to be abuyin through the likes of you.![]()
![]()
Darn right! If I have any need for smuggling, it's Danger's Pirate Squadron I'll be contacting.

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
How I spent the 4th of July.
Gardening - expanded, weeded, and mulched the upper garden. Tomatoes and hot peppers (jalapeños and cayenne are just now coming in, and kung pao is still not flowering - recent addition
).
Finished the wife's herb garden - mixed in a couple of hundred pounds of organic material - top soil, manure and peat moss.
Dropped a 35 ft (10.5 m) tree, which was dead. Drop it just about where I wanted - top within three feet. I took too much off one side and the three twisted on the way down since the mass of branches was lopsided, and it had two trunks starting about halfway up. I hacked (with my pick) at the main trunk (halfway through the trunk) about 7 ft (2.5 m) from the ground so as not to drop the whole thing, otherwise the top would go where I was planning to put the shed. I then cut through to 2/3s of the trunk with a pruning. The tree was leaning slightly in the opposite direction that I wanted to drop it, so I used a 12 ft ladder on the side I was cutting to brace it. Then I used the ladder to push the tree over.
Way back when I was in university, as an alternative to being a scientist/engineer, I considered going to Alaska to be a lumberjack/fisherman or somewhere in the Pamirs/Himalayas to be a hermit/monk. Needless to say, I became an engineer.
Finally moved the shed.
I put it on a tarp (plastic/fiber tarpaulin) and dragged (by myself) the shed about 50 feet (15 m) from the side of property to a place slightly up hill (3-4 ft, 1-1.3 m elevation) in the back yard.
As Maxwell Smart would say - I loved every minute of it.
Gardening - expanded, weeded, and mulched the upper garden. Tomatoes and hot peppers (jalapeños and cayenne are just now coming in, and kung pao is still not flowering - recent addition
Finished the wife's herb garden - mixed in a couple of hundred pounds of organic material - top soil, manure and peat moss.
Dropped a 35 ft (10.5 m) tree, which was dead. Drop it just about where I wanted - top within three feet. I took too much off one side and the three twisted on the way down since the mass of branches was lopsided, and it had two trunks starting about halfway up. I hacked (with my pick) at the main trunk (halfway through the trunk) about 7 ft (2.5 m) from the ground so as not to drop the whole thing, otherwise the top would go where I was planning to put the shed. I then cut through to 2/3s of the trunk with a pruning. The tree was leaning slightly in the opposite direction that I wanted to drop it, so I used a 12 ft ladder on the side I was cutting to brace it. Then I used the ladder to push the tree over.
Way back when I was in university, as an alternative to being a scientist/engineer, I considered going to Alaska to be a lumberjack/fisherman or somewhere in the Pamirs/Himalayas to be a hermit/monk. Needless to say, I became an engineer.
Finally moved the shed.
As Maxwell Smart would say - I loved every minute of it.
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
My Fourth..
I sat here at work and played on PF.
Did something stupid.
Decided to do something else that was stupid.
Wound up doing a third stupid thing.
Regret it today.
Fortunately none of it was THAT stupid.
Oh well, life goes on.
I sat here at work and played on PF.
Did something stupid.
Decided to do something else that was stupid.
Wound up doing a third stupid thing.
Regret it today.
Fortunately none of it was THAT stupid.
Oh well, life goes on.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
Do you know tribdog?TheStatutoryApe said:I sat here at work and played on PF.
Did something stupid.
Decided to do something else that was stupid.
Wound up doing a third stupid thing.
Regret it today.
Fortunately none of it was THAT stupid.
Oh well, life goes on.
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
I know of Tribdog. Were I drinking with him last night I doubt that two of those stupid things would have happened though. 

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
TheStatutoryApe said:I know of Tribdog. Were I drinking with him last night I doubt that two of those stupid things would have happened though.![]()
That's pretty bad when you've done something so stupid that even tribdog could save you from it!
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
So how was your fourth Moonie?
it's ok to call you that right?
it's ok to call you that right?

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Yes, that one's okay.TheStatutoryApe said:So how was your fourth Moonie?
it's ok to call you that right?![]()
I went to my friends' house for an afternoon BBQ and swimming. They live out in the middle of nowhere with 5 acres of wooded property, so it's nice and quiet out there...well, except for the three children. But they were okay too. Then came home and watched the neighborhood fireworks displays (people around here are crazy with the stuff they were setting off in backyards around so many houses!) Once I was sure none of them were being set off by anyone close enough that the fallout would hit my house, I got online while sitting on the deck watching (though some got pretty loud at the end). It was a nice relaxing day for a change.
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
Hmmm... I was a bit edgy that night at work. It's not a very nice neighborhood and people all around were setting off firecrackers. I kept worrying about people shooting off guns and where the bullets might land.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
TheStatutoryApe said:Hmmm... I was a bit edgy that night at work. It's not a very nice neighborhood and people all around were setting off firecrackers. I kept worrying about people shooting off guns and where the bullets might land.
If you don't mind my asking, what sort of work do you do that you were stuck working on the 4th, and at night no less?
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
College campus security, swing shift. The campus was pretty much closed but we have dorms and the dorm students are still here. Also plenty of expensive equipment in the computer labs. So we're here 24/7, 365 days a year.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,712
- 7,804
And TikiBar Security to boot!TheStatutoryApe said:College campus security, swing shift. The campus was pretty much closed but we have dorms and the dorm students are still here. Also plenty of expensive equipment in the computer labs. So we're here 24/7, 365 days a year.
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Where is SOS?
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
She's around. I think she's been busy lately.Lisa! said:Where is SOS?
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Thanks for your information.