Welcome to the Tiki Bar lounge

  • Thread starter Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
796 replies · 80K views
Moonbear said:
How's your house and electric doing since that storm?
:cry:

I bought a new tv (this was my bedroom tv) and I am waiting for the new dsl modem to arrive. I haven't replaced the DVD player yet, I still have one downstairs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
:cry:

I bought a new tv (this was my bedroom tv) and I am waiting for the new dsl modem to arrive. I haven't replaced the DVD player yet, I still have one downstairs.

That sucks to have to replace everything, especially when it was all the new stuff! :frown:
 
hypatia said:
yes..i was a okra virgin :redface:
Okra can be scary if it's not cooked right. My dad loved it cooked with tomatoes, he liked it slimy.

Fried okra is wonderful (when eaten in moderation). I used to grow it, it's related to the hibiscus and you can really tell by the flowers.
 
I don't mind if okra is a little slimy, but I prefer it when it isn't. But, instead of frying up some okra, I just decided to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies instead. :biggrin:
 
i would much rather have chocolate chip cookies instead of okra
 
yourdadonapogostick said:
i would much rather have chocolate chip cookies instead of okra
Me too, that's why they won.
 
Seafood Gumbo Recipe

Ingredients:
1 pound sliced okra
1/4 cup shortening
2 Tbs flour
1 chopped onion
1 bunch chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 10-1/2oz. can tomato
2 sprigs chopped parsely
1 bay leaf
1 sprinkle thyme
2 quarts water
1 pound cleaned shrimp
1/2 pound cleaned(1 dozen) crabs
1 tsp. (if desired)file
To taste salt and pepper

Directions:
Fry okra in 2 Tbs. shortening until it ceases to ""rope"", about 30 to 45 minutes. In another saucepan, make a roux with remaining shortening and flour. Cook it until dark brown. Add onions and celery, cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add okra. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, and meat(or crabs) and simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Remove from heat. If desired, stir in file just before serving(never cook file).

Yield: 6 servings

Note: Gumbo is better if cooked early in the morning and refrigerated for several hours. Reheat and serve with rice. If crabs are used: Scald live hard shelled crabs and clean, removing the spongy substance and the sandbag on the underpart. Break off and crack the claws, and cut the body in half.

Of course, Jamabalaya is an alternative if one does not like okra.

Jamabalaya Recipe

Ingredients:
1 tbslp. oil
1 tblsp. flour
1 c. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 c. cooked cubed chicken
1 can tomatoes
1 tlbsp. minced parsley
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
salt and pepper to tatse
Cajun or Creole seasoning to taste
4 c. water
1 c. uncooked rice

Directions:
Heat oil. Add flour and stir until smooth and light brown. Add shrimp, chicken, and tomatoes, and cook three minutes. Add parsley, Worcestershire saue, onion, garlic, bell pepper, salt and pepper, Cajun seasoning, and water. Simmer 10 minutes. Add rice and boil until tender, about 30 minutes. Keep covered during cooking. Do not stir, but it may be necessary to lift it from bottom of pot from time to time to keep rice from burning.

Yield: 6 servings


More Cajun Seafood Recipes at epicurean.com
 
Astronuc said:
Oh, that sounds great! Though, I was expecting crawfish! I don't think you can buy those north of the Mason-Dixon line though, so probably wouldn't matter anyway.
 
hmm, they serve crawfish in restaurants here. the rednecks call them crawdads
 
A round of Moonbeasts for everyone! Franzbear is back! :biggrin:
 
yourdadonapogostick said:
i'm scared to ask what a moonbeast is.

It's the more intense version of a Moonbear Madness. You do it as a shot. Just have one and you'll see, all your worries will just melt away.
 
Moonbear said:
It's the more intense version of a Moonbear Madness. You do it as a shot. Just have one and you'll see, all your worries will just melt away.
I'm 17, remember
 
yomamma said:
where's astronuc?
It's the weekend, so he's probably doing yard work. You know, something you could do during the day until you're old enough to get a job. :wink:
 
yourdadonapogostick said:
i'm 17, remember
Oh, then you'll have to wait 0.6 yr to try one. Have a Bahama Yomamma instead.
 
yomamma said:
where's astronuc?
Moonbear guest right! What can I get you Moonbear? Another Moonbeat?

Earlier today was yardwork - had to repair cart - scratchbuild as one would say in the modeling business. One of the wheels broke and the model is no longer in production. So I last weekend, I bought parts: new wheels (but 14" instead of 12"), steel rod (0.5" OD), washers (4 x 0.5"), brackets for pipe conduit, 2 pcs PVC pipe (0.5" x 5"), assorted screws, washers and nuts, and two cotter pins. I started putting it together, but I didn't have the appropriate drill bits. The tool steel bits broke, so during the week I purchased some cobalt bits. I tried them this morning with a hand-drill (I don't have a drill press :frown: ) - and the cobalt bits drilled through the stell like butter. Plus I used some teflon spray.

So the cart is repaired. Then I did the usually maintenance and continued landscaping.

Besides, I've been in and out of PF.

And back in the Tiki kitchen experimenting with food - I have a mad scientist approach to cooking sometimes. I like to try new things - but not quite :devil: more like muhwahahaaaa! :biggrin:
 
Astronuc said:
And back in the Tiki kitchen experimenting with food - I have a mad scientist approach to cooking sometimes. I like to try new things - but not quite :devil: more like muhwahahaaaa! :biggrin:
That's pretty much the way the dinner I'm sitting down and eating now came into existence. It was a sort of, "What do I have in the fridge that can go together into a meal?" Fried up some hot Italian sausage, added some tomato, orange bell pepper and frozen spinach, then realized I had two sliced of cooked bacon and the onions I cooked in the bacon drippings last night (they went on loaded baked potatoes that were last night's dinner...very tasty), so tossed those in, realized my garlic had gone moldy, so had to resort to a couple dashes of garlic powder, then added a can of chicken broth, brought it up to a boil, and mixed it with some pasta. It's pretty tasty. I think it would be even better with a more bitter vegetable than spinach (like when you get sausage and broccoli rabe...except I can't get broccoli rabe around here, and the rare times I've seen it, they've stripped off all the leaves! That's the good part! :cry: Idiot produce managers ). And I'm washing it down with a Sam Adams Summer Ale, which I've decided is a little too light for my taste. I thought it would go better than the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a pasta dish, but it seems I was wrong. Oh well.
 
you were in the kitchen?! you didn't look in the left cabinet did you? :rolleyes: forget what you saw, I can't cook. (just don't tell sos what I did to her wall)
 
Is that what that festering pile of moldy gunk was? The least you could have done was toss it in the dumpster rather than hide it in a closet.
 
Moonbear said:
Is that what that festering pile of moldy gunk was? The least you could have done was toss it in the dumpster rather than hide it in a closet.

just don't tell SOS what it did to the wall. and don't open that cabinet until the people from BIOpro get here

YDOAPS said:
do you serve fried franzbear here?

unfortunately, no. we do have a franzbear frenzy drink. that's the strongest drink here. even stronger that flying zoobies
 
Moonbear said:
That's pretty much the way the dinner I'm sitting down and eating now came into existence. It was a sort of, "What do I have in the fridge that can go together into a meal?" Fried up some hot Italian sausage, added some tomato, orange bell pepper and frozen spinach, then realized I had two sliced of cooked bacon and the onions I cooked in the bacon drippings last night (they went on loaded baked potatoes that were last night's dinner...very tasty), so tossed those in, realized my garlic had gone moldy, so had to resort to a couple dashes of garlic powder, then added a can of chicken broth, brought it up to a boil, and mixed it with some pasta. It's pretty tasty. I think it would be even better with a more bitter vegetable than spinach (like when you get sausage and broccoli rabe...except I can't get broccoli rabe around here, and the rare times I've seen it, they've stripped off all the leaves! That's the good part! :cry: Idiot produce managers ). And I'm washing it down with a Sam Adams Summer Ale, which I've decided is a little too light for my taste. I thought it would go better than the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a pasta dish, but it seems I was wrong. Oh well.
Hey, I am coming over to your place for dinner! All that sounds good. Sierra Nevada is better than Sam Adams, but then I have had mixed experience with Sierra Nevada. One place - there beer was good, but another time - it tasted as though it had been overheated. I think some people are just not careful with the way they ship or store beer.

Next time, I'll bring the Sierra Nevada. Have you ever tried Samuel Smith's Pale Ale or Nut Brown? They're quite good.
 
Moonbear said:
Is that what that festering pile of moldy gunk was? The least you could have done was toss it in the dumpster rather than hide it in a closet.
I was going to make a special kind of Bleu Cheese with that, or perhaps a new antibiotic. :biggrin:

and speaking of Bleu Cheese - one can make cheese balls :biggrin:

Amt . Meas . . Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-----------------------------------------
. 8 . Ounces . . Cream cheese -- softened
. 2 . Ounces . . Bleu cheese
. 3 . Tsps . . . Chopped celery
.1/4 . Cup . . . Chopped onion
. 2 . Tbls . . . Dried parsley
. 2 . Tbls . . . Dried chives (optional)

Chopped pecans or walnuts -for rolling

Mix all ingredients; form into balls. Roll in chopped pecans or walnuts;
chill.
 
Astronuc said:
I was going to make a special kind of Bleu Cheese with that, or perhaps a new antibiotic. :biggrin:

and speaking of Bleu Cheese - one can make cheese balls :biggrin:
Tell you what, you bring the cheese balls as an appetizer and I'll cook the main course. :biggrin:

One of my ex-boyfriends taught me how to cook. I could always follow recipes and make enough food to survive on, but he's the one who taught me to be more daring with ingredients and gave me some pointers on basic ingredients you can combine with almost anything. When I got my first apartment, his "house" warming gift to me was to stock my fridge! :biggrin: Though, I think that had a lot to do with him worrying I'd starve myself if left to do my own shopping. There were also many times when I'd call him up when I got home from the lab, gave him the list of things I had in my fridge and asked him what I should make for dinner, and he'd give me some quick recipe ideas. Now I've learned my lesson...never let a man who can cook get away! :frown:
 
Moonbear said:
Tell you what, you bring the cheese balls as an appetizer and I'll cook the main course. :biggrin:
OK, who do I see about getting the PF Supersonic RV? Actually, could we upgrade it to hypersonic? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Now I've learned my lesson...never let a man who can cook get away! :frown:
So where is this guy now? Is he still available? Just give us his coordinates, and MIH and I can go get him. :biggrin:

We'll definitely need the Supersonic RV. :biggrin:
 
Astronuc, do you know where Arctic Fox is?he wrote in his journal that he'd leave here and I've not seen him around! :confused:
 
Lisa!, it would appear that ArticFox has had a dispute with the PF administrators, perhaps related to at least one thread of which I am aware.

AF is leaving on his own accord, as far as I know. Perhaps you can contact him by PM or email through the profile. Or you could contact him at his own website.