Well here goes, I'm learning LaTex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's experience using the TeXworks editor and encountering errors while trying to typeset math for a paper. They mention that it becomes more intuitive as they continue, but they still have some basic questions. One issue they face is not being able to easily locate the line where an error occurs. However, they later discover a solution to this problem and apologize for any potential future questions.
dkotschessaa
Not too bad, gets more intuitive as you go along. If that makes sense.

Going through some tutorials and trying to type of some math for a paper. Some basic and very stupid questions. I am using the TeXworks editor.

When I get errors on attempting to typeset, I'm given a line number where the error occurred. That would be very helpful, if I knew where that line was. But it's not like they are numbered or anything, and I really don't want to count. Obviously I'm missing something here.

I'm getting a "there's no line here to end" error, but it doesn't say what line. Where is "here?"

That's all for now...

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it that one always discovers the answer to ones own question after posting? I even pre-googled!

I figured out how to "go to line" (control L) and the "no line to end" indeed had a line number a few lines down.

So, nevermind. Sorry. But I might have more questions if I can use this thread...

Sometimes the hat is *on* your head already!

kreil said:
Sometimes the hat is *on* your head already!

You said it...

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand the learning curve that comes with using new software or programming languages. It's great to hear that you are learning LaTex and finding it intuitive as you go along. It definitely takes some practice and patience to get the hang of it, but it's a powerful tool for scientific writing.

Regarding your questions about errors and line numbers, I can offer some suggestions. First, it's important to make sure that you are using the correct syntax and formatting when writing equations and math expressions in LaTex. This can often be the cause of errors and can be easily fixed by consulting online resources or asking for help from more experienced LaTex users.

In terms of the line numbers, you can turn them on in the TeXworks editor by going to Edit > Preferences > Typesetting and checking the box next to "Show line numbers." This will make it easier to locate the line where the error is occurring.

As for the "there's no line here to end" error, it could be due to a missing bracket or parenthesis in your equation. Again, double check your syntax and make sure everything is properly closed off.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask for help or clarification if needed. Keep practicing and you'll become a LaTex pro in no time!

1. What is LaTex?

LaTex is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It provides a way to format text and equations with precision and consistency, making it popular among academics and researchers.

2. Is LaTex difficult to learn?

LaTex can seem intimidating at first, but with practice and patience, it can be learned by anyone. It is a markup language, meaning it uses commands and symbols to format text and equations, so it may take some time to get used to. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started.

3. What are the advantages of using LaTex over other word processors?

LaTex offers many advantages over traditional word processors, such as Microsoft Word. It allows for precise typesetting of equations and mathematical symbols, has a consistent layout and formatting, and produces high-quality PDF documents. It also separates the content and formatting, making it easier to make changes and updates to a document without affecting the overall design.

4. Can LaTex be used for collaborative writing?

Yes, LaTex can be used for collaborative writing. There are several online platforms, such as Overleaf and ShareLaTex, that allow multiple users to work on the same LaTex document simultaneously. These platforms also provide version control, making it easy to track changes and revert to previous versions if needed.

5. Is LaTex only used for scientific documents?

No, LaTex can be used for a variety of documents, including books, reports, presentations, and even resumes. While it is popular in the scientific community, it can be used for any document that requires precise typesetting and formatting. Many templates are available for different types of documents, making it customizable for various needs.