Can Traumatized Dogs Overcome Their Fears and Bond with Their New Owners?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: The poor puppy is probably terrified of people and this is the only interaction it has had with them.In summary, the puppy followed the person who brought it home, followed them when they went for a walk, and was scared to death when one of the neighbors came out.
smell of more dung to roll around in I suppose

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
smell of more dung to roll around in I suppose

Exactly.

I'd be willing to bet this dog has never had its tummy rubbed before. She thought I was going to hit her every time I reached towards her, but once she figured out I wasn't going to hurt her she loved it. She fell right asleep.

Sounds like you have a new pet.

No, as soon as she fell asleep I strangled her. Problem solved.

tribdog said:
She just got her first bath. I love dogs when they get out of the tub and they do that run around the house of joy. The water was BLACK when we were done. I need to wash her face a bit better, but on the whole she looks a lot better. I need to name her now. Hypatia maybe? Evo? Hmmm C'mere Moonbear. Sit Evo!

My dog runs around and rolls around in her bed after she gets a bath. She goes nuts.

There should be other options besides the pound, but I think you just made the vital mistake of wanting to name her. She is staying, and you know it!

Congratulations, she is cute.

Congratulations on your new pet. Everyone knows you can't turn down a stray!

Aww, congratulations on adopting a cute doggy! She may have been abused, which might explain why she cowers with closed doors or if you reach for her. I agree with the advice to give her more attention, hold her, be gentle, pet her, give her little treats, get her used to the idea that human interaction is a really good thing. It sounds like she's already claimed you as hers.

My family adopted a stray dog. Friendliest dog in the world, but very wild and craves attention. He loves to be petted but if you so much as look at his right hip he goes crazy, yelping up a storm.

I hope you can find a way to keep her. Doggy Daddy's are so cool.