• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What accounts for the large shadows cast by the ends of the thin legs of the water st

• Thread starter zachcumer
  • Start date
What accounts for the large shadows cast by the ends of the thin legs of the water strider? What accounts for the ring of bright light around the shadows?

Here is my picture (below) (ATTACHED)

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Bell bottoms?

Actually, I can't see your picture (not approved yet), but I'd guess that some water climbs up the strider's legs, due to surface tension in the water, so there's a "jacket" of water on them. Or, maybe it's an optical effect due to the deformation of the water where the strider's legs contact the surface. It could act like a lens, which would explain the deflection of light so that you get dark spots (from where light was redirected) and brights spots (to where the light was redirected). I'm just guessing, though, since I haven't seen the picture .... of course, I could still be guessing even then!

I believe the last thing you mentioned. "LENS"...is what my teacher is looking for. I just brushed up my reading and in the book, they talk a ton about lenses.

Thanks Belliott

Yup - if you're searching for key words, try "refraction"!

Again...very helpful..thanks man.