What am I doing wrong with this simple integration?

Sin^{2}(2x)In summary, the integral is equal to (2x-sin2x)/16 and the mistake was made due to being rusty with integration techniques after a period of time. The mistake was corrected when realizing the difference of two squares in the integration process.
Turion

Homework Statement

$$\int { { sin }^{ 2 }x{ cos }^{ 2 }xdx }$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int { { sin }^{ 2 }x{ cos }^{ 2 }xdx } \\ =\frac { 1 }{ 4 } \int { (1-cos2x)(1+cos2x)dx } \\ =\frac { 1 }{ 4 } \int { -{ cos }^{ 2 }x+1dx } \\ =\frac { x }{ 4 } -\frac { 1 }{ 8 } \int { cos2x+1 } dx\\ =\frac { x }{ 4 } -\frac { 1 }{ 8 } [\frac { sin2x }{ 2 } +x]\\ =\frac { 2x-sin2x }{ 16 }$$

It's incredibly frustrating to do so many stupid mistakes on such simple integration. I can't believe how weak I've gotten at doing integrals after only 4 months...

Edit: never mind. I got it. I put x instead of 2x on line 3. Really dumb mistakes but I keep making them from a result of being so rusty.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Turion! :smile:

Even quicker would have been sin2xcos2x = (1/4)sin22x = … ? :wink:

I think the problem is in the difference of two squares
[itex](1-Cos(2x))(1+Cos(2x)) = 1-Cos^{2}(2x)[/itex]

1. Why am I getting an incorrect result when trying to integrate?

There could be several reasons for this, such as a mistake in the integration formula or an error in the bounds of integration. Double check your work and make sure all variables and constants are correctly accounted for.

2. Why is my integration taking a long time to compute?

The complexity of the function being integrated and the limits of integration can greatly impact the time it takes to compute an integral. Additionally, the accuracy of your computer's hardware and software can also play a role. Consider using more efficient integration methods or optimizing your code for faster computation.

3. How can I be sure that my integration is correct?

One way to verify the accuracy of your integration is by comparing the result to a known solution or using a different integration method to see if the results match. Additionally, you can try increasing the number of intervals or subintervals used in the integration to improve accuracy.

4. What should I do if I encounter an error message while integrating?

Error messages can indicate a variety of issues, such as a syntax error in the integration formula or an invalid input. Check the error message for more specific details and troubleshoot accordingly.

5. Can I use any integration method for any function?

No, different integration methods are better suited for different types of functions. For example, the trapezoidal rule may be more accurate for smooth functions, while Simpson's rule may be better for oscillatory functions. It is important to understand the properties of your function and choose an appropriate integration method.