What are dreams like for blind people?

• Thread starter mobiusdafrost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams
In summary, a study of 372 dreams from 15 blind adults found that those who were blind from birth or early childhood had no visual imagery in their dreams and a high percentage of gustatory, olfactory, and tactual sensory references. Both male and female participants also showed similar patterns in dream content compared to sighted individuals, including a high percentage of dreams involving locomotion/transportation and dreamer-involved misfortunes. These findings suggest a link between dream content and waking cognition for blind individuals.
mobiusdafrost
are they visual or auditory

Physics news on Phys.org
I hear their dreams are really out of sight.

They dream in colors.

I guess http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4112725.stm" available for blind people these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevie Wonder always singing about it

I never, never had a dream come true
In my every dream, I'm loved by you
And we're free as the wind
And true love is no sin
Therefore, men are men, not machines
I never, never had a dream come true
Without you, the world out there is painted shades of blue
Since our roads never crossed
I work just to please the boss
Think I might as well get lost in my dreams
Do do do do do...

QED

Drawing on a sample of 372 dreams from 15 blind adults, this paper presents two separate analyses that replicate and extend findings from previous studies. The first analysis employed DreamSearch, a software program designed for use with dream narratives, to examine the appearance of the five sensory modalities. It revealed that those blind since birth or very early childhood had (1) no visual imagery and (2) a very high percentage of gustatory, olfactory, and tactual sensory references. The second analysis found that both male and female participants differed from their sighted counterparts in the same ways on several Hall and Van de Castle (1966) coding categories, including a high percentage of locomotion/transportation dreams that contained at least one dreamer-involved misfortune. The findings on sensory references and dreamer-involved misfortunes in locomotion/transportation dreams are interpreted as evidence for the continuity between dream content and waking cognition.
http://psych.ucsc.edu/dreams/Library/hurovitz_1999a.html

1. What do blind people dream about?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it largely depends on the individual's personal experiences and memories. Some blind people report dreaming about sounds, smells, and textures, while others may dream about visual experiences they had before losing their sight. Additionally, blind individuals can also have abstract dreams that are not necessarily tied to any sensory experiences.

2. Do blind people see images in their dreams?

Similar to the first question, the answer to this one also varies. For those who were born blind, they may not see any images in their dreams as they have no visual references. However, for those who lost their sight later in life, it is possible for them to see images in their dreams, as they have previous visual memories to draw from.

3. Can blind people have nightmares?

Yes, blind people can have nightmares just like anyone else. Nightmares are not necessarily tied to visual experiences, but rather to emotions and fears. Therefore, blind individuals may experience nightmares related to their personal fears or traumas, even if they do not have visual references in their dreams.

4. Are there any differences in the dream patterns of blind people compared to sighted individuals?

Studies have shown that there may be some differences in the dream patterns of blind individuals. For example, they may have more frequent dreams with intense sensory experiences, such as touch and sound. Additionally, blind individuals may also have a higher occurrence of lucid dreams, where they are aware that they are dreaming and can control the content of their dreams.

5. Can blind people dream in color?

Similar to the second question, the ability to dream in color largely depends on the individual's personal experiences. Some blind individuals who have had previous visual experiences may dream in color, while others may not. However, it is important to note that color in dreams is not necessarily tied to actual vision, but rather to the emotions and meanings associated with certain colors.