What are F(1) and F'(1) for F(x) = \int_{-x}^{x} \frac{dt}{1+t^2}?

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding F(1) and F'(1) for the function F(x) = \int_{-x}^{x} \frac{dt}{1+t^2} using two different methods - taking the integral and then the derivative, or using the fundamental theorem of calculus. The person eventually understands and thanks for the help.
ziddy83
Ok i have another problemo here...

if [tex] F(x) = \int_{-x}^{x} \frac{dt}{1+t^2}[/tex]

Find F(1) and F'(1)...I need some assistance...the anti derivative is

[tex] arctan(t) [/tex] so then... do i set that equal to f(1) and solve for t? and then for F', take the derivative and then solve for t again? I am kind of confused... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ziddy83 said:
Ok i have another problemo here...

if [tex] F(x) = \int_{-x}^{x} \frac{dt}{1+t^2}[/tex]

Find F(1) and F'(1)...I need some assistance...the anti derivative is

[tex] arctan(t) [/tex] so then... do i set that equal to f(1) and solve for t? and then for F', take the derivative and then solve for t again? I am kind of confused... :confused:

You can do the integral to get F(x) for all x in the domain of F. Then take the derivative with respect to x to get F'(x). Evaluate both at x = 1. You can also find F'(x) using the fundamental theorem of calculus. For the latter approach, you might want the break the integral into two intervals at any constant a such that -x<a<x. a = 0 would be a convenient choice, but any constant value will do.

ok i got it ..thank you.

What is "Finding F(1) and F'(1)"?

Finding F(1) and F'(1) refers to finding the value of a function at a specific point (1) and finding the slope of the tangent line at that point. This is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

Why is it important to find F(1) and F'(1)?

Finding F(1) and F'(1) allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and to determine the rate of change at that point. This information is crucial in solving equations, optimizing functions, and making predictions.

How do you find F(1) and F'(1)?

To find F(1), you simply plug in the value 1 for the independent variable in the function. To find F'(1), you can use the derivative formula or the limit definition of the derivative. It is important to note that for some functions, F'(1) may not exist.

What is the difference between F(1) and F'(1)?

F(1) represents the value of the function at a specific point (1), while F'(1) represents the slope of the tangent line at that point. In other words, F'(1) gives us information about the rate of change of the function at that point.

What are some real-life applications of finding F(1) and F'(1)?

Finding F(1) and F'(1) has various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, F(1) and F'(1) can be used to determine the position and velocity of an object at a specific time. In economics, they can be used to analyze the production and cost functions of a company. In engineering, they can be used to optimize the design of a structure or system.