What are null oscillations in quantum systems?

In summary, the Ground State of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator represents the lowest energy state of the system and is described by a Gaussian wave function. It is also known as the zero-point energy level and has no time-dependent oscillations in its probability distribution. The term "null oscillations" may be a mistranslation of the German term for "zero-point oscillations".
LarryS
Gold Member
What does the Ground State of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator represent physically?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
referframe said:
What does the Ground State of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator represent physically?

Thanks in advance.

This is a rather vague question. For example, is there a reason why you're asking ONLY for the ground state of a SHO? Does this mean that you have no issues with the physical meaning of, say, the ground state of a hydrogenic atom, or a square-well potential? If this is true, then it would be informative to know what you mean in those cases as "represent physically", so that we know what you're looking for.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is a rather vague question. For example, is there a reason why you're asking ONLY for the ground state of a SHO? Does this mean that you have no issues with the physical meaning of, say, the ground state of a hydrogenic atom, or a square-well potential? If this is true, then it would be informative to know what you mean in those cases as "represent physically", so that we know what you're looking for.

Zz.

From what I have read, the Ground State of a quantum SHO is a gaussian and that state, as an oscillator, has "null vibrations". It is referred to as the "zero-point" energy level and is fundamentally the same as the energy associated with empty space. The ground state of an SHO, because it is a gaussian, minimizes the position-momentum uncertainty.

That is what I have read. I guess I'm trying to visualize what "null vibrations" means.

I haven't heard the term null vibration before but I think you are talking about quantum fluctuations. Quantum fluctuations are due to the fact that you can never have no energy. Even in the lowest energy state of a QHO

|0>

you still have hbar*omega/2 energy.

referframe said:
From what I have read, the Ground State of a quantum SHO is a gaussian and that state, as an oscillator, has "null vibrations". It is referred to as the "zero-point" energy level and is fundamentally the same as the energy associated with empty space. The ground state of an SHO, because it is a gaussian, minimizes the position-momentum uncertainty.

That is what I have read. I guess I'm trying to visualize what "null vibrations" means.

This is getting to be even more puzzling. Gaussian? "null vibrations"?

The SHO wave functions are described via the Hermite polynomials! Maybe you should tell us what you think the ground state of a SHO is before we answer the question. It certainly would help if you cite a source that gave you such confusing description.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is getting to be even more puzzling. Gaussian? "null vibrations"?

The SHO wave functions are described via the Hermite polynomials!

... times a gaussian. That's maybe where the poster's expression came from. As H0 is a constant, the wavefunction is a gaussian for the ground state of the SHO.

Hi, referframe.
referframe said:
I guess I'm trying to visualize what "null vibrations" means.
Wave functions both in coordinate space and in momentum space are Gaussian as you are well aware. Isn't it enough? I am not sure QM allows further visualization.
Regards.

Last edited:
vanesch said:
... times a gaussian. That's maybe where the poster's expression came from. As H0 is a constant, the wavefunction is a gaussian for the ground state of the SHO.

Exactly.

Here is just one source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator . Do find for "null oscillations".

As a sidenote. There is also such a thing as a 'null space'. But that is more math than physics. It's what you get when you apply the lowering operator to the ground state of the quantum harmonic oscillator.

I can safely say that I personally have never seen the term "null oscillations" applied to a QM system before seeing this thread. My first guess at interpreting it was to suppose that it means "no oscillations" in some sense. However, I couldn't fit that to the actual behavior of SHO energy eigenstates.

1. All energy eigenstates (ground state and otherwise) have wave functions of the form

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \psi(x) \exp \left( -i \frac{E}{\hbar} t \right)[/tex]

that is, they all have this oscillating complex exponential factor.

2. However, the probability distribution [itex]\Psi^*\Psi[/itex] of any energy eigenstate does not oscillate in time; it is "stationary" because the time-dependence disappears when you calculate [itex]\Psi^*\Psi[/itex].

There's no difference between the ground state and other energy eigenstates in these respects.

I did a Google search for the phrase "null oscillations", using quotes to keep the words together. The vast majority of the hits are regurgitations or quotations of the two Wikipedia pages that use the phrase. Several hits have to do with neutrino oscillations, where the phrase apparently has a specialized use. I found two hits (via Google Books) to books that were apparently written by Russians, in which case it may simply be a too-literal translation of a Russian phrase that means "ground state". (What is the Russian term for "ground state"?)

Another possibility: the Wikipedia article on zero-point energy (one of the two that mention "null oscillations") says:

Wikipedia said:
The term "zero-point energy" is a calque of the German Nullpunktenergie. All quantum mechanical systems have a zero-point energy. The term arises commonly in reference to the ground state of the quantum harmonic oscillator and its null oscillations.

So maybe "null oscillations" comes from German in the same way, in which case it really should read "zero-point oscillations".

Related to What are null oscillations in quantum systems?

1. What is the ground state of a simple harmonic oscillator (SHO)?

The ground state of a SHO is the lowest energy state that the system can occupy. It is the state in which the oscillator is at its equilibrium position and has the lowest possible energy.

2. How is the ground state energy of a SHO calculated?

The ground state energy of a SHO can be calculated using the formula E0 = 1/2 * hbar * ω, where hbar is the reduced Planck's constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

3. What is the significance of the ground state in a SHO?

The ground state is significant because it is the starting point for understanding the energy levels and transitions of a SHO. It also represents the lowest energy that the oscillator can have, and all other energy levels are multiples of the ground state energy.

4. Can the ground state energy of a SHO ever be zero?

No, the ground state energy of a SHO can never be zero. This is because according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the position and momentum of an oscillator cannot both be known with absolute certainty. As a result, there will always be some minimum energy associated with the ground state.

5. How does the ground state of a SHO differ from other energy states?

The ground state of a SHO differs from other energy states in that it has the lowest energy and is the most stable state. Other energy states have higher energies and correspond to the oscillating motion of the oscillator, with the highest energy state being the most unstable. Additionally, the ground state has a quantum number of n=0, while other energy states have higher quantum numbers.