What are some essential equations for Mechanical Engineering lab work?

• Thread starter elec2050
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: If you are trying to do engineering work, then you need to be using more complicated equations. If you are trying to do physics work, then you need to be using more complicated equations.
elec2050
I am building an list of formula and equation for use by Mechanical Engineering students in their Lab work, can anyone help me to build the list.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just compiling a list of equtions is useless. Students need to understand the theory behind the equations, assumptions made, and how they are used. By the time you do all of that, you've written an entire set of textbooks.

What lab specifically? There are literally thousands of equations we deal with.

I run a free online website where I have converted several formula and equations related to mechanical engineering, I want to add more, I see many students in the under developed nation use in their lab and would like to see more.

I am an software engineer, thus I need physical equation for formula as inputs, so I can convert into free wares.

Send me the most useful formulas and equations used in fluid mech, hydraulics, flow, dynamics, etc..

How about picking up a textbook, then there's no ambiguity?

i would like people to select the toughest ones kindly suggest

elec2050 said:
i would like people to select the toughest ones kindly suggest
What good is that going to do you? OK. Here's a toughie...the Navier-Stokes Equations. Now what? If you look at any other website out there that does this for us, they have taken the time to amass information they feel is beneficial to engineers and students. You need your site to be useful, not just a place that lists equations.

I agree... what you are after is pointless. hahahaha Navier-Stokes (James shudders)

Sometimes a list of equations might be useful, but only if they are simple, perhaps like Newton's equations of motion. But if you we to get into things like the Colebrook-White formula for pipe friction losses that contain constants and variables that require other formulae to work out, it will be completely useless.

If you want a general list... keep it simple, and keep it relevant to what you are doing.

Related to What are some essential equations for Mechanical Engineering lab work?

1. What is the purpose of using formulas and equations in science?

Formulas and equations are used in science to express relationships between variables and to make predictions or solve problems. They provide a concise way to represent complex concepts and allow for the manipulation of variables to understand their effects on the outcome.

2. How do I know which formula or equation to use for a specific problem?

The formula or equation to use depends on the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and identify the relevant variables. Then, you can consult reference materials or ask an expert for guidance on the appropriate formula or equation to use.

3. Can I use the same formula or equation for different scenarios?

Some formulas and equations are general and can be used for a variety of scenarios, while others are specific to certain conditions or systems. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of a formula or equation before applying it to different scenarios.

4. How do I check if my calculated answer is correct?

To check the accuracy of your calculated answer, you can use unit analysis to ensure that the units of your answer are consistent with the units of the given variables. You can also double-check your calculations and use estimation techniques to see if your answer is within a reasonable range.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using formulas and equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using formulas and equations include using the wrong formula or equation, using incorrect values for variables, and not paying attention to units. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check your work to avoid these errors.