What are some general essay writing tips?

In summary, the conversation discusses tips for writing a perfect essay. Suggestions include having a clear structure, avoiding surprises at the end, and seeking feedback from others. It is also important to carefully read and follow the assignment instructions and allow time for revisions.
Lacana
What tips should I follow to write a perfect essay?

Likes Emirett
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

That's a very broad question. What have you been reading so far to help you write essays? What level are you in school right now? What essays do you have coming up that you are planning on writing?

Likes Emirett and Lacana
Essay-Writing is fairly basic. Plenty of instructive textbooks already give this.
Paragraphs go like this:
  1. Introduce your topic or main idea
  2. Give two or three paragraphs or examples to support the main idea
  3. Give or discuss the conclusion, briefly

The structuring is clear. You will want a topic sentence at either the end of first paragraph or at beginning of first paragraph.

The meaning of that basic form is like
  1. I am going to tell you something.
  2. These are how or why I want to tell you that.
  3. Now I tell you what I told you.

Likes Emirett, Lacana and CivilSigma
Lacana said:
I'm more a movie type, but there are a few things which are almost always there: entangled, but different story lines, a major (story) and some minor ones (e.g. relationships, inclusions, flash backs etc.). Another important issue is to avoid surprises at the end. I don't mean how the story itself develops, but the many tiny clues needed at the end which should be introduced beforehand. E.g. if a main hero dies at the end and you want to soften the shock and give him cancer or so, then this should be mentioned at a completely different location. This principle also holds for other small side effects, be they serious, funny or whatever; but in all cases: write them backwards.

Likes Emirett and Lacana
Have always had success in having a general idea of an outline, then just writing without holding anything back. Then its waves of revisions. Its impossible to get it right on the first go. Get everything that you want to say down on paper, then start chopping it up. Then read it. Then chop it again.

Likes Emirett, Lacana and Delta2
Read the assignment carefully and follow the instructions.

Make an outline first, following the basic Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion format.

Complete your rough draft a few days before your essay is due to leave time for proof reading and refinement.

Read and revise carefully several times.

Have someone else proofread also.

Likes Emirett and Lacana
  1. Read a lot of good essays.
  2. Write a lot of essays and seek critical, constructive feedback on them.

Likes Emirett and Lacana
Lacana said:
This is not a real question but a setup for spam of essay writing services.

Thread closed.

What are some general essay writing tips?

1. How do I choose a topic for my essay?

There are many ways to choose a topic for your essay, but some tips include selecting a topic that you are passionate about, researching current events or societal issues, and brainstorming ideas with friends or classmates.

2. What is the best structure for an essay?

The best structure for an essay typically includes an introduction, body paragraphs that support your thesis, and a conclusion. Make sure to also include transitions between paragraphs and a clear thesis statement.

3. How can I improve my writing style?

To improve your writing style, try varying your sentence length and structure, using descriptive language and strong verbs, and avoiding repetitive phrases. It can also be helpful to read and analyze the writing styles of successful authors.

4. How do I properly cite my sources in an essay?

It is important to properly cite your sources in an essay to avoid plagiarism. This can be done by using in-text citations and including a works cited page at the end of your essay. Be sure to follow the specific citation style required by your teacher or institution.

5. What is the revision process for an essay?

The revision process for an essay involves reviewing and editing your essay for clarity, organization, and grammar. It can also be helpful to have someone else read your essay for feedback and to make revisions based on their suggestions.