What are the benefits of STEM Learning Education for kids?

In summary, STEM learning education for kids has numerous benefits such as preparing them for future careers, helping them think clearly and critically, and countering superstitions and false beliefs. It also has economic benefits for both the individual and the country. However, despite the advancement of technology and resources for STEM education, there are still those who choose to believe in irrational and unscientific beliefs. This shows that education alone is not enough and that there are psychological factors at play in shaping one's beliefs.
I'm getting to suspect a Poe.

No idea what a "Poe" is ; though from context I suspect it means "troll".

Several posts ago, I commented that a modern practice - that of goosing the body's repair mechanisms into action by emulating a real threat - may have stemmed from what I understood as one of the (otherwise unrelated) precepts of homeopathy, ie: inducing a symptom, artificially.

I then further posited that if that previous method had worked at all (beyond the placebo effect*,which I didn't think to mention at the time), that that might be the mechanism.

If I had simply wanted to provide some small trolling amusement, I'd claim that the earliest man-made tool wasn't a flint knife, but a hair tie.

* Why don't pharmacies carry medication clearly marked as "Placebos" ? Seems logical.

Science news on Phys.org
hmmm27 said:
That would be the italicized bit in the quote you posted, which also includes a short explanation of my reasoning.
And as I said, I don't see any parallel there.
hmmm27 said:
That's a pretty bizarre claim. I never said anything like that.
That's the point. If drinking diluted warts would have been the treatment it would be like homeopathy, but it was not. "Apply this creme containing 1% of [substance] to the area to be treated" is not like homeopathy at all.
hmmm27 said:
Several posts ago, I commented that a modern practice - that of goosing the body's repair mechanisms into action by emulating a real threat - may have stemmed from what I understood as one of the (otherwise unrelated) precepts of homeopathy, ie: inducing a symptom, artificially.
Homeopathy doesn't induce any symptoms. The stuff they sell is diluted way too much for that.
WWGD said:
Well, if it works for some, albeit as a placebo, why not have them use it to alleviate their suffering? Note that I am not arguing for its scientific validity, just that it seems to work for some as a placebo.
  • It stops some people from getting real medicine, or makes them get proper help later, making their condition worse. Not a big deal with a cold, but it can be fatal if the same people try homeopathy for more serious health problems.
  • It is way too expensive to be a fair price for a placebo. To make it worse, some health insurances (and therefore every member of that insurance) pay for that nonsense.

Likes DEvens
Leaves a lot of applicable choices ... :biggrin:

Just to add
WWGD said:
Well, if it works for some, albeit as a placebo, why not have them use it to alleviate their suffering? Note that I am not arguing for its scientific validity, just that it seems to work for some as a placebo.
The bottom line is, that it is taking advantage of the fact the patient thinks the treatment is doing something when it isn't. They are paying for something that does not work they are paying for an expensive placebo/ water.
STEM educated person would not fall for it, would not entertain it.
I have asthma, there is no cure, I know there is no cure (via drugs anyway) I know what's happening in my lungs, my alveoli, my cells when I have an attack. I know sitting in a chair for an hour, chatting and drinking small amounts of water will not do anything.

Since the main thread has run its course and the thread started to veer off-topic, this is probably a good point to close the thread. Thanks everybody for participating.