What are the common uses of spectrum tubes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsptl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spectrum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 6K views
dsptl
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
The spectrum tubes work by runnig an electric current through a sealed tube containing gas. What common use of this method can you think of?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you come up with anything yet? I wouldn't feel right just *telling* you - But think about it and take a guess - do you notice any tubes connected to electricity in common use anywhere?
 
yes, I thought it would be "Cooking with Gas", but i was not sure thts why i hv asked
 
Well, hang on, let's think about this. What happens when you run electricity through a sealed tube full of gas? Does it *do* anything useful? If you were to notice this phenomenon, what would *you* think of using it for?
 
We all don't have any clue about this, since he did not went over it.
 
Well, think about it!

What happens when you start throwing charged particles at the atoms in the gas? What else are you learning about in class and the relevant chapter? I can almost guarantee they're related. ;)
 
Grating? Like diffraction grating? What does this spectrometer measure?
 
actually this is a lab. we used spectrometer for to find Hydrogen and Helium wavelengths at some colors
 
Ah ha! So what does wavelengths, and colors tell you? What kind of waves were you dealing with?
 
Yes! If you electrify a gas, it glows, and that makes for pretty okay lighting!
 
thanks! another quick question

I know tht ultraviolet and ifrared are not visible to human eyes, but where would it be appear on spectrometer?
 
Well, I don't know what equipment you have... I can help you figure out where UV and IR waves would be in relation to visible light in the electromagnetic spectrum, though...

Also, think about their wavelengths in relation to the possible wavelengths of visible light!