What are the key theories used to predict galaxy rotation curves?

In summary: Higher order effects are still important on galactic scales, and they can have an impact on the perceived location of emitters. However, the time dilation effect is negligible on galactic scales.
Hepth
Gold Member
Do any of you know which article(s) are used to do the "expected" rotation curve for galaxies, that always seem to be used to compare with data for calculating the distribution of dark matter?
I'm just trying to find which authors have worked out a published result for the theoretical predictions. I assume there are one or two "major" ones that everyone references.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hepth, for a great overview of how galaxy rotation curves are both calculated and measured see:

arXiv:astro-ph/0010594

Vera Rubin is one of the two authors, and she is considered one of the pioneers in this field.
Cheers,
Bobbywhy

I read through that and while it answers some questions about density profiling (polytrpoic indices from exp, etc) the majority of the paper is references! hehe, its pretty hard to dig through actually.

The author you mentioned is also more of an experimentalist. Or rather doing theory on physical observables.

I'm looking for something more rigorous, like GR calculations/approximations for various density distributions with different metrics.

Thanks!

I suggest you try going to the arXiv page and typing in your query. For example, I entered "rotation curves general relativity" and got 353 different papers! A more refined search there may help you in your quest.

Hepth, no one worries about GR when calculating rotation curves of galaxies. The only time people worry about GR is when they are doing calculations for stuff near a compact object (i.e. black hole, neutron star, white dwarf).

Well, part of my reasoning for looking for the paper was wondering what is the next order approx from GR over Newtonian. And what about things like LL coupling (frame dragging, etc). I know they all have to be VERY small compared to leading order, but i was just curious.

Hepth, higher order effects, although small, may play an important role in galactic dynamics. Frame dragging (now verified thanks to the GP-B experiment) is a factor especially on galactic scales. Does the non-Euclidean geometry of a rotating disc affect the perceived location of the emitters? Does the time dilation towards the periphery affect the received frequencies?

The fact that GR and SR have not been considered in determining rotation curves means the “Dark Matter” problem may continue to be shrouded in mystery. I urge you to continue your research.

Well, GR isn't my area of research, I'm high energy theory. Which is why, before wasting my time doing it myself (tedious for someone unpracticed), I was looking for anyone that has done a complete analysis.

I'm sure the complexities of a locally dynamic metric, coupled with unknown density profiles, causes a lot of headaches in determining things to higher orders.
I guess I'll just read up more so that exactly what I'm searching for becomes more focused.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0264-9381/18/23/303

is actually a good read for two scalar fields+dust. Need IOP or a guest account though.

Hepth, I think we can safely rule out time dilation. bombardil is on the right track. MOND is not a good option, if that is where you are going with this.

I didn't suggest time dilation, and MOND, haha no. I'm not into fancy new theories that throw out proven concepts in favor of modifying classical ones.

I'm just trying to learn the pure, simple, as complete as can be, general relativistic approach to the velocity distribution curves. GR is more than just a next order radial approximation to Newton, and I wanted to see, at what scales for galaxies does things like angular flow/ "classical spin"/ coupling to the galaxy rotation, etc for a test star come into play.

Related to What are the key theories used to predict galaxy rotation curves?

Q1: What is a galaxy rotation curve?

A galaxy rotation curve is a graph that shows the distribution of rotational velocities within a galaxy as a function of distance from the galactic center.

Q2: Why is the study of galaxy rotation curves important?

The study of galaxy rotation curves is important because it provides insight into the distribution of mass within a galaxy. This can help us understand the dynamics of a galaxy and the nature of dark matter, which is thought to make up a significant portion of a galaxy's mass.

Q3: How are galaxy rotation curves measured?

Galaxy rotation curves are measured using a variety of techniques, including optical spectroscopy, radio interferometry, and infrared observations. These methods allow scientists to measure the Doppler shifts of light emitted by stars and gas particles within a galaxy, which can then be used to calculate their velocities.

Q4: What is the significance of a flat galaxy rotation curve?

A flat galaxy rotation curve is significant because it indicates that the rotational velocity of stars and gas particles in a galaxy remains constant with distance from the galactic center. This is unexpected based on the observed distribution of visible matter in a galaxy, and suggests the presence of dark matter, which does not interact with light but contributes to the overall mass and gravitational pull of a galaxy.

Q5: How do scientists use galaxy rotation curves to study dark matter?

Scientists use galaxy rotation curves to study dark matter by comparing the observed rotational velocities with the predicted velocities based on the distribution of visible matter in a galaxy. Any discrepancies between the two can be attributed to the presence of dark matter, and can help determine the amount and distribution of dark matter within a galaxy.