Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the most dense everyday items? eg. sinker for fishing, socket set

1. Sep 4, 2008 #1
    Fish sinker
    socket set

what other items are dense heavy sort of small things?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2
    coins

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    The americium in smoke detectors? ;)

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4
    batteries, bolts, nuts, shackles, locks padlocks, chain link,

6. Sep 4, 2008 #5
    Ball bearings.

Any particular reason for the question?

7. Sep 4, 2008 #6
    This might sound rediculous.

But if you are outside of america or in a strict anti-gun place there is less opportunity to defend yourself. If someone walks towards me while i get in my car and i think they are gonna rob me , jack met,etc. I will smash my car window to create a commotion and also they probably don't want to drive around a stolen car with a smashed window.

Or if im outside my house in my yard and someone attacks me I smash the window of my house or smash it against metal and that horrible metal on metal noise to create a commotion. And possibly they will move on to an easier victim.

8. Sep 4, 2008 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

EMT window popper. Like a center punch for preparing material for a drill press, but with a more blunt tip. Takes some practice not to cut yourself when the car side (NOT front) window explodes, though...

http://www.nextag.com/window-punch/search-html

9. Sep 4, 2008 #8
    Wow... I don't think I have ever felt threatened enough by anyone to go to such extremes. Maybe you could just lay on your car horn? There are also panic buttons on most keyless entry devices if you have one for your car. You could also just scream at them like a maniac.

10. Sep 4, 2008 #9
    :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPHbJKCRAE

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  11. Sep 5, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A light bulb filament. (Tungsten is about 1.7 times denser than lead.)

12. Sep 5, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I just use my head.

13. Sep 5, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My neighbor...very dense and small-minded.

14. Sep 5, 2008 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can drive away!

What if the guy was walking towards you to return a dropped wallet and you felt like you were getting robbed and smashed your own window? You would look like the biggest idiot on the planet.

Drive away and you might still look odd, but not as bad as your option and not as COSTLY either!

15. Sep 5, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, technically in your mind you're saying... "Get that old lady over there! NOT ME! AAHHHHH!"

16. Sep 5, 2008 #15
    I asked my wife what was the densest object around the house. The answer will probably not be helpful to you.

17. Sep 5, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He wants something that's permanently dense... well actually I'm not quite sure. :uhh:

18. Sep 5, 2008 #17
    I went to ask my neighbor what was the densest object and she threw a handful of ball bearings through her car window and started screaming.

19. Sep 5, 2008 #18
    Sounds like the perfect everyday item you might looking for is a gun.

Dense little bullets do a quick number on windows, and depending on where you are, you can bet on the screaming too.

hehehe

20. Sep 5, 2008 #19
    He says he can't get a gun. So maybe a crossbow.

21. Sep 5, 2008 #20

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But not a wooden one, since the goal is to maximize the density. A steel crossbow is preferable, or better yet one made out of tungsten. :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?