What are the most dense everyday items? eg. sinker for fishing, socket set

• Thread starter JimmyJockstrap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Socket
In summary: Dense little bullets do a quick number on windows, and depending on where you are, you can bet on the screaming too.
JimmyJockstrap
Fish sinker
socket set

what other items are dense heavy sort of small things?

Physics news on Phys.org
coins

The americium in smoke detectors? ;)

batteries, bolts, nuts, shackles, locks padlocks, chain link,

Ball bearings.

Any particular reason for the question?

This might sound rediculous.

But if you are outside of america or in a strict anti-gun place there is less opportunity to defend yourself. If someone walks towards me while i get in my car and i think they are going to rob me , jack met,etc. I will smash my car window to create a commotion and also they probably don't want to drive around a stolen car with a smashed window.

Or if I am outside my house in my yard and someone attacks me I smash the window of my house or smash it against metal and that horrible metal on metal noise to create a commotion. And possibly they will move on to an easier victim.

EMT window popper. Like a center punch for preparing material for a drill press, but with a more blunt tip. Takes some practice not to cut yourself when the car side (NOT front) window explodes, though...

http://www.nextag.com/window-punch/search-html

JimmyJockstrap said:

But if you are outside of america or in a strict anti-gun place there is less opportunity to defend yourself. If someone walks towards me while i get in my car and i think they are going to rob me , jack met,etc. I will smash my car window to create a commotion and also they probably don't want to drive around a stolen car with a smashed window.

Or if I am outside my house in my yard and someone attacks me I smash the window of my house or smash it against metal and that horrible metal on metal noise to create a commotion. And possibly they will move on to an easier victim.
Wow... I don't think I have ever felt threatened enough by anyone to go to such extremes. Maybe you could just lay on your car horn? There are also panic buttons on most keyless entry devices if you have one for your car. You could also just scream at them like a maniac.

JimmyJockstrap said:

:smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPHbJKCRAE

Last edited:
A light bulb filament. (Tungsten is about 1.7 times denser than lead.)

I just use my head.

JimmyJockstrap said:
what other items are dense heavy sort of small things?

My neighbor...very dense and small-minded.

JimmyJockstrap said:
If someone walks towards me while i get in my car and i think they are going to rob me.

You can drive away!

What if the guy was walking towards you to return a dropped wallet and you felt like you were getting robbed and smashed your own window? You would look like the biggest idiot on the planet.

Drive away and you might still look odd, but not as bad as your option and not as COSTLY either!

JimmyJockstrap said:
And possibly they will move on to an easier victim.

So, technically in your mind you're saying... "Get that old lady over there! NOT ME! AAHHHHH!"

I asked my wife what was the densest object around the house. The answer will probably not be helpful to you.

jimmysnyder said:
I asked my wife what was the densest object around the house. The answer will probably not be helpful to you.

He wants something that's permanently dense... well actually I'm not quite sure. :rolleyes:

I went to ask my neighbor what was the densest object and she threw a handful of ball bearings through her car window and started screaming.

Sounds like the perfect everyday item you might looking for is a gun.

Dense little bullets do a quick number on windows, and depending on where you are, you can bet on the screaming too.

hehehe

Alfi said:
Sounds like the perfect everyday item you might looking for is a gun.

Dense little bullets do a quick number on windows, and depending on where you are, you can bet on the screaming too.

hehehe

He says he can't get a gun. So maybe a crossbow.

TheStatutoryApe said:
... maybe a crossbow.

But not a wooden one, since the goal is to maximize the density. A steel crossbow is preferable, or better yet one made out of tungsten. :-p

Redbelly98 said:
better yet one made out of tungsten. :-p
A wallet made of tungsten then. Imagine a mugger demanding your wallet. You take it out of your pocket but, in a surprise move, you smash your car window with it. Ha!

...then you hand it over since the mugger has a gun.

out of whack said:
A wallet made of tungsten then. Imagine a mugger demanding your wallet. You take it out of your pocket but, in a surprise move, you smash your car window with it. Ha!

I don't know why he should damage his own car. Best thing is to learn taekwondo!

out of whack said:
...then you hand it over since the mugger has a gun.

You're forgetting that this whole scenario occurs in a gun-free zone, so the muggers don't have guns. :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
You're forgetting that this whole scenario occurs in a gun-free zone, so the muggers don't have guns. :biggrin:
Ah yes, and excellent point, I forgot this indeed. The mugger would have to have a larger tungsten wallet than the victim for the scenario to make any sense.

Yes, very true. You'd be completely vulnerable to a mugger with a large tungsten wallet. Perhaps the safest thing to do is avoid any gun-free areas?

haha. I love it when I come across someone saying something funny I don't expect.

Related to What are the most dense everyday items? eg. sinker for fishing, socket set

What are the most dense everyday items?

The most dense everyday items include sinkers for fishing, socket sets, and several other household items. These items are typically small and compact but have a high mass and weight per unit volume.

What is the density of sinkers for fishing?

The density of sinkers for fishing can vary depending on the material they are made of. However, most sinkers have a density of around 7.8 grams per cubic centimeter, which is similar to the density of iron or steel.

Why are socket sets considered dense?

Socket sets are considered dense because they are made of metal, which has a high density. Additionally, socket sets are designed to fit multiple sockets within a compact case, making them a high-density item.

What is the most dense material used in everyday items?

The most dense material used in everyday items is osmium, which has a density of 22.59 grams per cubic centimeter. However, osmium is not commonly used in everyday items due to its rarity and high cost. Iron and steel, with densities of 7.8 grams per cubic centimeter, are more commonly used in everyday items.

Are there any everyday items with a higher density than osmium?

No, there are no known everyday items with a higher density than osmium. However, some synthetic materials, such as aerogel, have been created with densities lower than osmium but with higher strength and durability.