What are the most frequently cited physics textbooks?

In summary, the most frequently cited textbooks in the physics literature are generally those on more controversial topics, such as String Theory or Loop Quantum Gravity. However, even these textbooks are typically fundamental to the specific field being researched and are not often debated within the scope of the field. Some examples of highly cited textbooks in the literature include Callen's "Thermodynamics and Introduction to Thermostatistics" and Stratton's "Electromagnetic Theory". While citations from textbooks can be found in literature, their relevance and importance may vary. The most suitable textbook for a given purpose should be chosen, regardless of its citation statistics.
Geremia
What are the most frequently cited __________ textbooks in the physics literature?

Where __________ is:

• thermodynamics
  • quantum mechanics
  • classical mechanics
  • electromagnetism
  • etc.
?

I'm looking for lists based on citation statistics. Surely there are citations data out there on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "literature"? Research papers don't cite textbooks, at least I don't remember ever seeing one that did.

The material contained in a physics textbook falls more under the realm of "assumed knowledge" as far as physics research goes. It's well established material. One isn't going to cite a physics textbook as a 'source' for using Newton's 2nd Law, Conservation of Energy, Maxwell's Equations, or the Schrodinger Equation. It's foundational to the field and doesn't need to be cited.

I could see citations being used from a textbook on a more controversial topic such as String Theory or Loop Quantum Gravity and such, where it may not be such common knowledge. But even still, the things contained in those textbooks are generally fundamental to the specific field being researched, and typically aren't being debated(within the scope of the field). A typical researcher would assume that the people who are reading their paper would know what was being referenced.

Hard to answer. When I was doing volcanology I saw Landau's text on fluids cited maybe twice. I recall seeing Boyd's text "Nonlinear Optics" cited once. Also, Wikipedia states that Callen's text "Thermodynamics and Introduction to Thermostatistics" is highly cited in literature.

Books are cited in literature. As an example, according to google scholar, Stratton's "Electromagnetic Theory" has been cited thousands of times:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=12170316177373808744&as_sdt=40000005&sciodt=1,22&hl=en

some of those citations are from books, but many are from literature. You can get a notion of citations from google scholar, but better tools may exist.

Do such citations make sense? Sometimes yes, especially if it is to justify a result most people don't know off the top of their heads. Sometimes no.

A better questions is: what difference does it make? I would pick a book because it was suitable for the intended purpose, whether or not anyone ever cites it.

jason

1. What makes a physics textbook "cited"?

A physics textbook is considered "cited" when it is referenced or mentioned in published research papers or other academic literature. This could be in the form of a direct citation or a mention of the textbook's concepts or theories.

2. How are the most frequently cited physics textbooks determined?

The most frequently cited physics textbooks are determined by analyzing the number of citations they receive in published research papers and academic literature. This data is often collected and compiled by databases such as Web of Science or Google Scholar.

3. Are there any specific physics textbooks that are consistently cited?

Yes, there are several physics textbooks that have been consistently cited over the years. Some examples include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson.

4. Do the most frequently cited physics textbooks change over time?

Yes, the most frequently cited physics textbooks can change over time as new research and discoveries are made in the field of physics. Textbooks that were once popular may become outdated or replaced by more comprehensive and up-to-date textbooks.

5. How important is it for a physics textbook to be cited?

Being cited is an important measure of a physics textbook's impact and influence in the scientific community. It indicates that the textbook's content is widely accepted and used by researchers and students in their studies and experiments.