What Are the Natural Frequencies of a Double Pendulum Using Torque Methods?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to determine the natural frequencies of a 2 DOF system by taking torques about a fixed point on the ceiling. However, there is uncertainty about the validity of using the equation for sum of torques = I . alpha for this system, as it is not a rigid body and the moment of inertia changes during motion. The suggestion is made to draw free body diagrams for both masses and derive the accelerations in terms of the angles.
axe34

Homework Statement

m = 1 kg, l = 1 m, theta 1 and 2 are small

I want to work out the natural frequencies (2) of this 2 DOF system through taking torques about the fixed point on the ceiling. I've done it using numerous fixed points and just cannot get the right answer.[/B]
upload_2016-4-16_13-56-58.png

Homework Equations

sum of torques = I . alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking that cos theta = 1 and sin theta or tan theta = theta and acw moments are pos,

I get that for the lowest mass:
-mg (theta 2 + theta 1) + T2(theta1 + theta 2) - 2T2theta2 = 4alpha

for highest mass: -mgtheta1 - T2theta1 + theta2T2 = alpha.

Does anyone else get this? I want to solve it via torques and not any other method. NB: T2 = tension in lowest massless string.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
axe34 said:

Homework Statement

m = 1 kg, l = 1 m, theta 1 and 2 are small

I want to work out the natural frequencies (2) of this 2 DOF system through taking torques about the fixed point on the ceiling. I've done it using numerous fixed points and just cannot get the right answer.[/B]
View attachment 99206

Homework Equations

sum of torques = I . alpha
This equation is valid for a rigid body. Your system is not that, its parts move with relative to each other. The moment of inertia with respect the fixed point at the ceiling changes during the motion. Draw the FBD-s for both masses, and derive the accelerations in terms of the angles.

Related to What Are the Natural Frequencies of a Double Pendulum Using Torque Methods?

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system that consists of two pendulums attached to each other. It is a type of compound pendulum, where the motion of one pendulum affects the motion of the other.

2. What causes a double pendulum to vibrate?

The vibration of a double pendulum is caused by the combined effect of the gravitational force and the tension in the pendulum strings. As the pendulums move, they continuously transfer energy between each other, resulting in a complex and chaotic motion.

3. How is the vibration of a double pendulum calculated?

The vibration of a double pendulum can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles from classical mechanics. These equations take into account the length and mass of each pendulum, as well as the initial conditions of the system (such as the initial angles and velocities).

4. What factors affect the vibration of a double pendulum?

The vibration of a double pendulum is affected by various factors, including the length and mass of the pendulums, the initial conditions, and external forces such as air resistance. Additionally, the vibration of a double pendulum is highly sensitive to small changes in these factors, making it a chaotic and unpredictable system.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying the vibration of double pendulums?

The study of double pendulums has practical applications in fields such as engineering and robotics. Understanding the complex motion of double pendulums can help in designing stable structures and mechanisms. Additionally, double pendulums are often used as models to study and understand chaotic systems in science and mathematics.