Finding the angular frequency of SHM of a rolling sphere

In summary, the problem involves a uniform sphere rolling without slipping on the inner surface of a hemispherical bowl. By using conservation of energy, it can be shown that the sphere executes simple harmonic motion with angular frequency sqrt(5g/(7(b-a))). The solution involves finding the equivalent mass and equivalent spring force based on the form of potential and kinetic energy.
Nemode

Homework Statement

A uniform sphere of radius a is placed at the lowest point of a fixed thin
hemispherical bowl of radius b > a. The sphere is the slightly displaced and
released with zero initial velocity such that it rolls without slipping on the inner
surface of the bowl. By conservation of energy, or otherwise, show that the
sphere executes simple harmonic motion about the lowest point with angular
frequency.

sqrt(5g/(7(b-a)))

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 mv^2

Angular KE = 1/2 I [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\dot{}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

dE/dt = 0

PE = mg ((b-a) - (b-a)cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))
= mg(b-a)(1 - cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))

I of sphere = 2/5 m (b-a)[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = 1/2 m (b-a)[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\dot{}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

Total E = [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\dot{}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] (b-a)[tex]^{2}[/tex](1/2 + 1/5) + mg(b-a)(1 - cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))

dE/dt = 0 = [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\ddot{}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\dot{}[/tex] (b-a)[tex]^{2}[/tex] * 7/5 + [tex]\theta[/tex] g(b-a)

I'm stuck with how to deal with having both theta dot and double dot in the first term, if I ignore the theta dot it works and I get the answer stated abov, but obviously something's gone wrong somewhere or else I'm not dealing with the thetas correctly!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle theta must be very small so you can replace cos theta with 1-theta^2/2.

You can consider theta as the coordinate and theta dot =omega as velocity. Look at the form of both the PE and KE. Like in case of SHM, PE is proportional to the square of coordinate, and KE is proportional to the square of velocity. They have the form PE=1/2*D (theta)^2, and KE=1/2 M (omega)^2. Find the equivalent mass M and the equivalent direction force (spring force) D.

ehild

1. What is the definition of angular frequency in SHM?

Angular frequency, denoted by the symbol ω, is a measure of the rate at which an object oscillates or rotates around a central point. In SHM, it refers to the frequency of the oscillations of the object as it moves in a circular or elliptical path.

2. How is angular frequency related to the period of SHM?

The period T of SHM is defined as the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The relationship between angular frequency and period is given by the formula T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

3. Can angular frequency be negative in SHM?

Yes, angular frequency can be negative in SHM. This indicates that the object is moving in a clockwise direction, while a positive angular frequency indicates a counterclockwise motion. The magnitude of the angular frequency remains the same regardless of its direction.

4. How do you calculate the angular frequency of a rolling sphere?

The angular frequency of a rolling sphere can be calculated using the formula ω = 2π/T, where T is the time it takes for the sphere to complete one full rotation. This can be measured by recording the time it takes for a certain point on the sphere to return to its original position.

5. What factors affect the angular frequency of a rolling sphere in SHM?

The angular frequency of a rolling sphere in SHM is affected by the mass of the sphere, the radius of the circular path, and the force acting on the sphere. Increasing the mass or the radius will decrease the angular frequency, while increasing the force will increase the angular frequency.