Odds of Manchester United vs Aston Villa in FA Cup 3rd Round

• Thread starter billiards
  • Start date
In summary, the odds of Manchester United being drawn against Aston Villa in the 3rd round of the FA Cup 4 times in the past 7 draws is approximately 1 in 472,216. However, the odds of any team being drawn against any other team 4 times in the past 7 draws is slightly higher at approximately 1 in 242.
billiards
A friend recently observed that Manchester United have been drawn against Aston Villa in The 3rd round of the FA Cup 4 times in the past 7 draws. There are 64 teams in the 3rd round draw. What are the odds of this happening?

I believe I have the answer, but I need someone to verify my answer to ensure that my understanding is correct.

So, what are the odds?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, obviously this is too easy a question to bother most of you. My answer was 1/472,216. Is that right?

Actually, I think the problem is here

I believe I have the answer, but I need someone to verify my answer to ensure that my understanding is correct.

If you want to make sure your understanding is correct, the best way is surely to post what you think the correct method would be

Okay.

Chance of Man U drawing Villa on one occasion A = 1/63
Chance of that not happening on same occasion B = 62/63

Chance of it happening 4 times in a row followed by 3 failures is AAAABBB=623/637.

This probability is equal to the probability of the initial condition being satisfied (that Manu draw Vill 4 times in 7), by each of the 7!/(4!*3!) = 35 different possible permeatations. Accounting for all possible solutions, the probability that the initial condition is satisfied, is 35 times 623/637 = 1/472,216.

Looks good to me

I get 35*62^3/63^7 = 1191640/562711519881, but that's close enough to your answer.

Note that the chance of Man U drawing some team 4 times out of 7 (not just Villa in particular) is 1191640/8931928887, which at roughly 1/7495 is a fair bit more likely. The chance of it happening to at least one team (not just Man U) is about 1/242. The chance of at least one team pulling some other team at least 4 times is little changed at about 1/238.

Related to Odds of Manchester United vs Aston Villa in FA Cup 3rd Round

What is the history of matches between Manchester United and Aston Villa in the FA Cup 3rd Round?

The two teams have faced each other a total of five times in the FA Cup 3rd Round, with Manchester United winning three times and Aston Villa winning twice.

What are the current odds for Manchester United vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup 3rd Round?

As of now, the odds for Manchester United to win are 3/5, while the odds for Aston Villa to win are 4/1.

What factors are taken into consideration when determining the odds for this match?

The odds are determined based on the teams' current form, injury updates, past performances, and head-to-head record.

How do the odds for this match compare to other FA Cup 3rd Round matches?

The odds for this match are relatively similar to other FA Cup 3rd Round matches, with Manchester United being the favored team in most cases due to their higher ranking and recent success.

Are there any notable statistics or trends that could affect the outcome of this match?

One notable trend is that Manchester United has not lost to Aston Villa in the FA Cup since 2002, giving them a psychological advantage going into the match.