What are the readings on the two connected spring scales?

• Thread starter erinnn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a student in Physics 11 was given a question for bonus marks on their next test. The question involved using the laws of tension, inertia, and Hooke's Law to determine the readings on two connected spring scales. The lower scale was attached to a wall with a string and had a 10N tension, while the upper scale held the lower scale and a 5N weight. The student was unsure of where to begin and had been trying to figure it out for 8 hours. They were reminded that the lower scale only "knows" about the wall or shelf it is attached to, and that the upper scale is affected by the forces pulling down on it. The lower scale was set to 0, making
erinnn
I'm in Physics 11 right now, and today we were given a question that if we can figure out, we will receive bonus marks on our next test.

I'm not asking you to solve it for me, (that'd be nice, ahaha), but I just don't know where to start.

We did a lab where the front of these spring scales were covered. There were two scales, connected one above the other. The hook on the bottom of the lower scale was tied down with a string with 10N of tension. The top scale held the first scale, and also a 5N weight.

We are supposed to try and figure out what each scale read. I don't know where to begin AT ALL. We were told to think of the laws of tension, inertia, of Hooke's Law and that was it.

I've been trying to figure it out ever since 2nd block..like 8 hours ago. Ahahah... HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
The lower scale doesn't "know" about the upper scale. As far as the lower scale is concerned, it is attached to a wall or shelf just like it would be if you were just using it to weigh something. That should tell you what the lower scale reads. As for the upper scale what forces are pulling down on it? (Do you know the weight of the lower scale or are you just assuming it is very small compared to the other forces?)

thank you.

the lower scale was set to 0, so it's "weightless."

Related to What are the readings on the two connected spring scales?

1. What is the purpose of "Bonus Homework Questions"?

The purpose of "Bonus Homework Questions" is to provide students with an opportunity to challenge themselves and earn extra credit points. These questions are typically more complex and require a deeper understanding of the material being covered.

2. How are "Bonus Homework Questions" graded?

Grading for "Bonus Homework Questions" varies depending on the instructor's policies. Some may award full points for correct answers, while others may only give partial credit. It is important to carefully read the instructions and follow any specific guidelines provided by the instructor.

3. Are "Bonus Homework Questions" mandatory?

No, "Bonus Homework Questions" are not mandatory and are typically optional for students to complete. It is up to the individual student to decide if they want to attempt the bonus questions or not.

4. Can "Bonus Homework Questions" replace missed assignments or exams?

No, "Bonus Homework Questions" are not meant to replace missed assignments or exams. They are only meant to provide an additional opportunity for students to earn extra credit points.

5. Are "Bonus Homework Questions" available for all subjects?

It depends on the instructor and the course. Some courses may have "Bonus Homework Questions" available, while others may not. It is best to check with the instructor or refer to the course syllabus for more information.