What are you currently reading?

• Thread starter Infinitum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation is about what books the participants are currently reading and their thoughts on them. Some of the books mentioned include Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh, Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan, A Life of Discovery: Michael Faraday, Giant of the Scientific Revolution by James Hamilton, For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, The Roman Invasion of Britain, Chinatown: Portrait of a Closed Society, The Monster of Florence by Preston & Spezi, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Origins: Fourteen Billion Years Of Cosmic Evolution by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith, Humanizing the Economy: Co-operatives in the Age of Capital by
I am reading "The Fires Of Heaven" by Robert Jordan. Number five in his Wheel Of Time series.

Excellent in my opinion :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just started reading The Open Society and its Enemies by Karl Popper.

Re-read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five", wondering, if this book is consistently rated as one of the top books in recent history, why don't I remember much of it.

And the result was to remind myself why I don't remember much of it.

"Breakfast of Champions" was a seriously good book, and "God Bless You Mr Rosewater" was a good book. I just don't think any of Vonnegut's other books were really all that good and have no idea why "Slaughterhouse Five" gets such high ratings.

Infinitum said:
Hey people,

I believe this would be a good way to find out new(probably good :tongue:) books, so just as it says on the tin, what are you reading now?

I currently alternate between Simon Singh's Fermat's Last Theorem, and Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan. Nearly finished both so I can surely use some suggestions!

The Spirit Glass by Carol Berg. Fiction, but I quite liked it. The main character is an undercover investigator. His lies are quite clever and kept my interest.

Edgard allan poe stories , incredible imagine power o_O

Likes Silicon Waffle
I'm going to recommend the novels of C.J. Box to anyone looking for entertaining reading. He's written about 20. They're primarily murder mysteries, but the trappings are different than most, which is refreshing: the main character is Joe Pickett, a Montana game warden, who seems to stumble across a human murder every time he goes out to ticket unlicensed hunters or fishermen who are over their limit. The author paints a picture of an American West that I assumed had died long ago, but still exists in Montana, apparently; an underpopulated, underpoliced, expanse that is mostly still wilderness roamed by elk herds, pronghorn antelope, and people who own more acres of land than you'd think possible in the modern world. Just as in the old west, Joe encounters hard characters out to grab what they can, and fights the corrupt state bureaucracy that sees him as a do-gooder, loose canon.

Unlike many authors, C.J. Box has become a better and better author as time goes by. It's worth starting at the beginning and reading in order as his writing becomes more engrossing. I'm currently reading his latest: Badlands, and it's very hard to put down.

E. A. Poe Sounds like a great idea, I might read him.
I am currently on book 5 of Harry Potter series. It was written for children of course, but even adults can find hidden meanings in it. I really enjoy reading it at the age of 28.
My other book is Hunger Games trilogy. I really disliked the first part. I keep reading so that I can write a very long negative review on Goodreads

Sophia said:
E. A. Poe Sounds like a great idea, I might read him.
I am currently on book 5 of Harry Potter series. It was written for children of course, but even adults can find hidden meanings in it. I really enjoy reading it at the age of 28.
My other book is Hunger Games trilogy. I really disliked the first part. I keep reading so that I can write a very long negative review on Goodreads
:biggrin::DD

Sophia said:
When you are done try Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It may be fanfiction but it is one of the most life changing stories I have ever read. The author is an artificial intelligence theorist and uses the story adeptly to teach the reader about the scientific method, rational thinking and cognitive biases. It takes place in an alternate universe where:
Petunia married a biochemist, and Harry grew up reading science and science fiction. Then came the Hogwarts letter, and a world of intriguing new possibilities to exploit. And new friends, like Hermione Granger, and Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell...

Likes JorisL
Wow that sounds cool! Will definitely read it ☺

Enigman said:
When you are done try Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It may be fanfiction but it is one of the most life changing stories I have ever read. The author is an artificial intelligence theorist and uses the story adeptly to teach the reader about the scientific method, rational thinking and cognitive biases. It takes place in an alternate universe where:

But aren't magic/sorcery and alternate universes considered to be outside of the realm of the Rational , at least at this point?

WWGD said:
But aren't magic/sorcery and alternate universes considered to be outside of the realm of the Rational , at least at this point?
There is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief needed, yes. 'The alternate universe' just refers to an alternate storyline and isn't explicitly mentioned in the story and is perhaps poor phrasing on my part. Also the incongruity of existence of magic is one of the themes explored and Harry James Potter Evans-Verres almost immediately starts experimenting to quantify 'magic' as scientifically as possible (which includes delving into Mendelian inheritance to prove or disprove the claim mudbloods are 'inferior' and exploring why magic completely overlooks laws of conservation.) Here magic is just parts of laws of nature that no one has really delved into scientifically and just taken for granted by wizards like muggles took things falling down to Earth as granted for much of their time on Earth and as most wizards still do.

Enigman said:
There is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief needed, yes. 'The alternate universe' just refers to an alternate storyline and isn't explicitly mentioned in the story and is perhaps poor phrasing on my part. Also the incongruity of existence of magic is one of the themes explored and Harry James Potter Evans-Verres almost immediately starts experimenting to quantify 'magic' as scientifically as possible (which includes delving into Mendelian inheritance to prove or disprove the claim mudbloods are 'inferior' and exploring why magic completely overlooks laws of conservation.) Here magic is just parts of laws of nature that no one has really delved into scientifically and just taken for granted by wizards like muggles took things falling down to Earth as granted for much of their time on Earth and as most wizards still do.
Yes, that is a good point, there is a difference between the non-Rational, that for which there is still no scientific evidence, and the irrational, that which directly contradicts known science.

I'm with Engiman, the fanfiction is awesome (I recently read it).
A sequel by another writer is "S1gn1f1cant D1g1t5", it's good so far (read arc 1, waiting for arc 2 to finish and grab the pdf)

JorisL said:
I'm with Engiman, the fanfiction is awesome (I recently read it).
A sequel by another writer is "S1gn1f1cant D1g1t5", it's good so far (read arc 1, waiting for arc 2 to finish and grab the pdf)
There are two other sequels of note- Harry Potter and the Memories of a Sociopath, and Draco Malfoy and the Practice of Rationality. Both however pale against HPMOR.

Hey everyone :) I'm currently reading the second book of the Hunger Games series, Catching Fire. I think almost everyone has read the series apart from me. haha. (I'm VERY hooked on this series at the moment)

I just finished reading all of Asimov's books in the Robot/Empire/Foundation series, in Asimov's prescribed order. (found here). 15 books in all. Quite a journey. It was kind of strange reading them in this order. The books weren't originally all written as a series. Later books were written into create a psuedo-consistent universe. The written order is therefore not the same as the chronological universe order. So it was kind of jarring to go from Asimov's 1950s prose to 1990s.
Nonetheless, Asimov is just so important, IMO, and it was a great trip.

I am not sure what to do next. I am back to Analog magazine for awhile, which I've been away from for a good year.

Also reading some math history stuff. Autobiography of Andre Wiles (of Bourbaki fame) and "Euler's Gem," a book about the history of Topology.

-DaveK

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. Fantatically written, pretty heavy at times.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm going to recommend the novels of C.J. Box to anyone looking for entertaining reading. He's written about 20.
C.J. Box... My wife just informed me, she has read all, or, almost all of them (she's not absolutely sure), she reads a great deal, honest!

She also informed me that "Joe" is a Wyoming game warden... I believe she is correct... (really think I couldn't ?) ... lol

I'm going to recommend the novels of C.J. Box to anyone looking for entertaining reading.

On that, she agrees...

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
The last intellectually stimulating thing I read that wasn't a textbook, exam, or homework assignment was probably the lyrics to Britney Spears, I Wanna Go.

Without your guidance I never would have encountered this literature

I picked up twelve old New Yorker magazines for free. I enjoyed perhaps one tenth of the text. They take jejune art such as punk rock seriously. I liked an article about Alexander Humboldt.

OCR said:
C.J. Box... My wife just informed me, she has read all, or, almost all of them (she's not absolutely sure), she reads a great deal, honest!

She also informed me that "Joe" is a Wyoming game warden... I believe she is correct... (really think I couldn't ?) ... lol
Yes, Joe Pickett is based in Wyoming, not Montana! His other characters, Cody Hoyt and Cassie Dewell are the ones from Montana.

I'm currently reading "The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, the Power Behind Five English Thrones" by Thomas Asbridge, Harper Collins Publishers, 2014.

It is a compelling story about William Marshal, who at the age of 5 faced execution by King Stephen when William's father broke his word to the king. Stephen did not execute the young lad. Marshal went on to become a successful knight in service to Henry II and his on Henry the Younger. Henry the younger died at a young age while rebelling against his father. Upon Henry II's death, Richard the Lionheart became king, and upon his death (from a gangrenous wound from a crossbow bolt in his left shoulder) John became King. King John's reign was problematic, and he eventually died from dysentery in October 1216 while facing an invasion Prince Louis of France and a rebellion of may barons.

There is an interesting discussion of the Magna Carta, which was more or less ignored by John in the latter half of 1215. Overall, it provides an interesting perspective on the history of England and Angevin France, also parts of Wales and Ireland, and the various political and religious conflicts of the times.

Marshal lived to the age of 72, which was remarkable given his military experience.

Some background:
https://www.royal.gov.uk/historyofthemonarchy/kingsandqueensofengland/theangevins/theangevins.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Marshal,_1st_Earl_of_Pembroke (1146–1219)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England , http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/richard_i_king.shtml
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chepstow_Castle

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
A Briefer History of Time by Leonard Mlodinow and Stephen Hawking yo

How is the book 'What is life ' by Schrodinger in 1944 ?

Currently reading: The Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. This is the first book in the Century Trilogy and I have to say it is an extremely well researched and written novel.

Likes 1oldman2
Astrophysics for Physicists. Though I don't know if I'll ever have time to read the whole thing.

Sorry for a sort of "meta" question:
I have become kind of obsessive about getting the most out of a book. Anyone else feel the need to re-read books?
It seems hard at times to fully get the content and ideas from a first read alone. The first read gives you an overview of the structure of the book. Once you know the structure/layout, you can, upon a second reading more easily absorb the actual content, form issues being out of the way.

EDIT: I mean that understanding the context consumes a good chunk of attention/focus away from the actual content, ideas in the book. Anyone else see it this way?

Last edited:
Likes PWiz and OCR
WWGD said:
Anyone else see it this way?
Yup... I sure do.

It's basically like watching a movie more than once... :oldwink:

Likes WWGD
OCR said:
Yup... I sure do.

It's basically like watching a movie more than once... :oldwink:
So we are both have OCD -- a relative of yours (OCD-OCR)?

Likes OCR
I just started reading "Infidel: My Life" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

WWGD said:
I have become kind of obsessive about getting the most out of a book. Anyone else feel the need to re-read books?
It seems hard at times to fully get the content and ideas from a first read alone. The first read gives you an overview of the structure of the book. Once you know the structure/layout, you can, upon a second reading more easily absorb the actual content, form issues being out of the way.

EDIT: I mean that understanding the context consumes a good chunk of attention/focus away from the actual content, ideas in the book. Anyone else see it this way?
It depends on the book. If it's popular science, if it's almost always good to read it a couple of times. But when I re - read 'normal' books, I tend to like them less than the first time. I may be completely charmed by a book, totally loving it. But than I re-read it some time again and I ask myself wtf? Is this the same book I liked so much or has someone telepathically rewritten it while it was lying on the shelf?
So I now I always read a book only once.

WWGD said:
Anyone else see it this way?
This is quite common ,lot of people do it ,not all books can be understood in one go.

Monsterboy said:
not all books can be understood in one go.

There are books that can't be understood no matter how many times you try.

Likes fresh_42, Monsterboy and PWiz
WWGD said:

Depends on the book of course. I'm not going to re-read any of the star trek novels I picked up for a dollar and read on the beach during vacation. But certainly many books merit one or many re-reads.

I think it's partly about the things you said, but there's also the experience of re-reading a book *many* years later. There were many books I read as a teenager and I really doubt I would even recognize them or see them the same way now. There are some books I plan to read every n years or so.
-Dave K

Likes Monsterboy