What area of copper needed for given power

In summary, the amount of copper needed for a given power output can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can be rearranged to solve for R, which will give you the amount of resistance needed. The relationship between power and copper in electrical systems is that higher power outputs require larger amounts of copper to effectively transmit and distribute the electricity. The thickness of copper plays a significant role in its power-carrying capacity, with thicker wires having a lower resistance and thus being able to carry higher power currents without overheating. However, thicker copper wires are also more expensive due to their larger cross
Tawaffles
Hi,

Im not an electrical engineer, not even close to one, but I have been asked to design a terminal for a motor. I have the power (current and voltage) requirements so I need to work out what area of copper in the terminal will handle this power.

Can anyone give me the equation, or point me in the right direction to get this figure?

Regards,

James

Engineering news on Phys.org
what is the Voltage and rating of Motor?

1. How do I calculate the appropriate amount of copper needed for a given power output?

The amount of copper needed for a given power output can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can be rearranged to solve for R, which will give you the amount of resistance needed. Then, using the resistivity of copper (1.68 x 10^-8 ohm-m), you can calculate the length and cross-sectional area of the copper needed.

2. What is the relationship between power and copper in electrical systems?

The amount of copper needed in an electrical system is directly related to the power output. Higher power outputs require larger amounts of copper to effectively transmit and distribute the electricity. This is because copper has a low resistance, allowing for efficient transmission of high power currents.

3. How does the thickness of copper affect its power-carrying capacity?

The thickness of copper plays a significant role in its power-carrying capacity. Thicker copper wires have a lower resistance, allowing them to carry higher power currents without overheating. However, thicker copper wires also have a larger cross-sectional area, which means more material is needed, making them more expensive.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be carried by a certain amount of copper?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of power that can be carried by a certain amount of copper. This is because copper has a maximum current density that it can handle before it becomes too hot and potentially melts. This limit is dependent on the thickness and type of copper, as well as the surrounding temperature and other environmental factors.

5. Are there any alternative materials to copper for power transmission?

Yes, there are alternative materials to copper for power transmission, such as aluminum and silver. These materials have different properties that may make them more suitable for certain applications. For example, aluminum has a lower conductivity than copper, but it is also lighter and less expensive, making it a popular choice for power transmission in some cases.