What branch of electrical engineering uses a lot of probability?

badr
Hello everybody.

I have used probability in troubleshooting electronic pcbs , but the complexity of the designs forced me to apply it in other branches of electrical engineering.

What branch in electrical other than maintenance uses probability theory ?

Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
Communication theory, and application of that theory to signal encoding/decoding.

Likes DeBangis21, DaveE, Rive and 2 others
Electrical engineering is applicable in so many diverse fields that there are a multitude of possibilities. In the field that I am most familiar with, there are always uncertainties in the inputs. Kalman filtering is used to merge uncertain inputs into a best guess. I think that you can find uncertainty in virtually any field.

Likes DeBangis21 and badr
Measurement errors, effects of component tolerances...

Likes DeBangis21 and badr
I appreciate your suggestions .

I am watching some videos.

berkeman said:
Communication theory, and application of that theory to signal encoding/decoding.
BTW @badr -- If you have access to a technical library, take a look at these two books (you will see how probability theory is involved with Communication Engineering):

1716588177210.png

https://www.amazon.com/Principles-C...M-Wozencraft/dp/0471962406/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1716588226730.png

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction...g-1977-07-07/dp/B01FGN1NLA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Astronuc and badr
berkeman said:
BTW @badr -- If you have access to a technical library, take a look at these two books (you will see how probability theory is involved with Communication Engineering):

I am looking for modern applications like android and iOS comms .

If you can , link me to some videos about the matter .

badr said:
I am looking for modern applications like android and iOS comms .
Sorry, I'm not understanding what that means in the context of your original question:
badr said:
I have used probability in troubleshooting electronic pcbs , but the complexity of the designs forced me to apply it in other branches of electrical engineering.

What branch in electrical other than maintenance uses probability theory ?

berkeman said:
Sorry, I'm not understanding what that means in the context of your original question:
I am just asking in the context of the books you linked not my question.

I am not native English speaker btw 😀

badr said:
I am not native English speaker btw
Well your English is a lot better than my second languages! :smile:

badr said:
I am just asking in the context of the books you linked not my question.
Okay, so you are asking how probability theory can be applied to cell phone apps? What kind of apps?

+1 for Wozencraft and Jacobs. I also suggest that you look into information theory, which uses probability theory heavily and which is the mathematical scaffolding for communications systems, encoding, data compression (jpeg, e.g.), error correction in disk drives, cell phones and deep space telemetry, hash codes, etc.
Thomas and Cover, "Elements of Information Theory" is the standard text.
McKay, "Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms" is also good and somewhat simpler to follow. It can also be read online for free here
Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms,
so long as you don't save or print it.

Finally, I highly recommend Edwin Jaynes's book "Probability Theory: the Logic of Science." He shows how probability theory underpins data sampling, inference, parameter estimation, decision theory, communications theory and much more.

Likes badr, FactChecker and berkeman
berkeman said:
Well your English is a lot better than my second languages! :smile:

Okay, so you are asking how probability theory can be applied to cell phone apps? What kind of apps?
Well , more like wifi and 4g , 3g technology.

badr said:
Well , more like wifi and 4g , 3g technology.
Well, starting with Wozencraft & Jacobs is still a good idea, so I'd still recommend that you find a technical library that has it, or check at your local community library to see if they can get it on inter-library loan so you can look through it for a couple weeks. Once you understand the basics from W&J, you can look at the newer encoding techniques like OOFDM and similar that are used in the latest wireless communication schemes. For that you could start at the Wikipedia articles for those wireless communication standards, and follow the references for more technical information.

Here is the Table of Contents for W&J from my copy of the book, along with the link again to the Amazon copy. This should be allowed under Copyright Fair Use, since I'm basically advertising the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Principles-C...M-Wozencraft/dp/0471962406/?tag=pfamazon01-20

WnJ TOC1.jpg

WnJ TOC2.jpg

WnJ TOC3.jpg

Likes badr
berkeman said:
Well, starting with Wozencraft & Jacobs is still a good idea, so I'd still recommend that you find a technical library that has it, or check at your local community library to see if they can get it on inter-library loan so you can look through it for a couple weeks. Once you understand the basics from W&J, you can look at the newer encoding techniques like OOFDM and similar that are used in the latest wireless communication schemes. For that you could start at the Wikipedia articles for those wireless communication standards, and follow the references for more technical information.

Here is the Table of Contents for W&J from my copy of the book, along with the link again to the Amazon copy. This should be allowed under Copyright Fair Use, since I'm basically advertising the book:

I will get into it fir sure just to get some basics.

Likes berkeman