What can I use as a detector to collapse the wave function?

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to observe and collapse the wave function in their own version of the Young's experiment. They suggest using a tiny inductor with a resistor attached and measuring the change in resistance or current. However, they are unsure if this method will work and are looking for guidance. It is noted that any interaction with the quantum system will result in partial collapse.
iamburitto
Hi! I have a plan to build my own version of young's experiment using various household items, a laser, and my physics textbook. My question is about what I could use as a "detector" to observe and collapse the wave function? I had the idea of making a tiny inductor to go around one of the slits, with a resistor attached to it, and either use a multimeter to measure the change in resistance, or fashion an ammeter to measure the change in current. However I am not sure this would work, both because the current caused by the mag-field of the light through the inductor would be too weak, and because I'm not completely sure what causes the wave function to collapse, or what kind of measurement is needed; I'm just starting to get into quantum physics in my undergrad this year. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

-Britt

Physics news on Phys.org
iamburitto said:
Hi! I have a plan to build my own version of young's experiment using various household items, a laser, and my physics textbook. My question is about what I could use as a "detector" to observe and collapse the wave function? I had the idea of making a tiny inductor to go around one of the slits, with a resistor attached to it, and either use a multimeter to measure the change in resistance, or fashion an ammeter to measure the change in current. However I am not sure this would work, both because the current caused by the mag-field of the light through the inductor would be too weak, and because I'm not completely sure what causes the wave function to collapse, or what kind of measurement is needed; I'm just starting to get into quantum physics in my undergrad this year. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!
I can't help you with setting up the experiment, but partial collapse happens with any sort of interaction.

Thus once you are able to get a response from the quantum system, you collapsed it already.

1. What is a wave function and why does it need to be collapsed?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the probability of a particle's position and momentum in quantum mechanics. It needs to be collapsed in order for the particle's position and momentum to be determined with certainty.

2. Can any object be used as a detector to collapse the wave function?

Technically, any object can be used as a detector to collapse the wave function. However, the accuracy and reliability of the measurement will depend on the sensitivity and precision of the object.

3. Are there specific materials or substances that are better at collapsing the wave function?

Yes, certain materials such as semiconductors and superconductors have been found to be more effective at collapsing the wave function. These materials have specific properties that make them ideal for detecting quantum particles.

4. How does the process of detecting and collapsing the wave function work?

The process of detecting and collapsing the wave function involves the interaction between the quantum particle and the detector. When the two come into contact, the wave function collapses and the particle's position and momentum are measured.

5. Are there any limitations to using detectors to collapse the wave function?

Yes, there are limitations to using detectors to collapse the wave function. In some cases, the act of detection can alter the behavior of the quantum particle, making it difficult to accurately measure its properties. This is known as the observer effect in quantum mechanics.