What are the key differences between Python and Java?

• Thread starter Carina5738
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, Python is a versatile language that is good for programming apps and scientific computing. Java is a more complex language that is used for mobile app development.
Carina5738
Hello all,

If this has been asked before, please forgive me; what can Python be used for? Is it good for programming apps and whatnot? I have never done any programming before, so this is my very first programming language that I have just started learning.

Thanks for answering

Technology news on Phys.org
Python in recent years has been, from what I've heard, increasingly used in scientific and statistical computing. You can make programs that do whatever you want with it. If you're talking about mobile apps, though, Android apps are coded mostly in Java while iOS apps are coded in Objective C.

Oh, oh okay. Is Java harder than python?

Java is different than Python. Some would say that programming languages aren't necessarily "harder" than one another, but speaking from my point of view, I would say that yes, jumping into Python as a first-time programmer is much easier than Java.

That said, while they're different programming languages, the same concepts appear all throughout programming and computer science, and if you understand those concepts, switching languages isn't too big of a deal.

Likes jim mcnamara
Coolios. Thank you!

axmls said:
Java is different than Python
In what way are they different? Both are Object Oriented Programming languages. Of course they are different but no language is the same with others.

In my use of Python I consider it to be a pretty simple language to learn, but reading through python code I can easily get confused with the return types of different methods or functions (since it doesn't have type initializations).

Python is interpreted whereas Java is compiled. In Java, everything is in a class, whereas classes aren't required in Python. Of course, types must be specified when created a variable in Java, unlike in Python. Java uses braces whereas Python uses indentation. Obvious syntax differences.

Of course, those are the same differences as in all languages, but the big one is the class-oriented approach Java takes, which can be confusing for someone who has no idea what a class is. I prefer the nice and simple buildup to object oriented programming that Python allows you to do.

Related to What are the key differences between Python and Java?

What can I use Python for?

Python is a versatile programming language that can be used for a variety of purposes, including web development, data analysis, machine learning, scientific computing, and scripting. It is also widely used in areas such as artificial intelligence, game development, and automation.

Can I use Python for web development?

Yes, Python can be used for web development. It has several popular web frameworks, such as Django and Flask, which make it easy to create dynamic and scalable web applications. Python can also be used for server-side scripting and building web APIs.

Is Python suitable for data analysis?

Absolutely. Python has a rich set of libraries and tools for data analysis, such as Pandas, NumPy, and SciPy. These libraries make it easy to manipulate and analyze large datasets, perform statistical analyses, and create visualizations.

What is machine learning and can I use Python for it?

Machine learning is a subset of artificial intelligence that involves training algorithms to make predictions or decisions based on data. Python is one of the most popular languages for machine learning, with libraries like scikit-learn and TensorFlow that make it easy to build and deploy machine learning models.

What are some other applications of Python?

In addition to the aforementioned uses, Python can also be used for scientific computing, data visualization, game development, and automation. It is a versatile language that can be applied to a wide range of projects and industries.