What are the properties of this unknown crystal?

• Thread starter mubashirmansoor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystal
In summary, this crystal has the following properties:- Cubic with octahedral habit- RI: 1.5-1.6- Density: 1-1.25 gmcm^-3- Color: White- Soluble in water- MP: about room temp.- Transparent- &- It smells a bit like chlorine- When heated, it doesn't get concentrated as quickly as sugar
mubashirmansoor
What can this crystal be?

Hello,

I have some crystals with the following properties which I am unfortunately unable to find out their chemical formula or name... any other material with the following characteristics will help too.

Cubic with octahedral habit.

RI : 1.5 - 1.6

Density : 1 - 1.25 gmcm^-3

Color : White

Soluble in water.

MP : about room temp.

Transparent.

&

Its not toxic.

Prosperous Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

mubashirmansoor said:
Hello,

I have some crystals with the following properties which I am unfortunately unable to find out their chemical formula or name... any other material with the following characteristics will help too.

Cubic with octahedral habit.

RI : 1.5 - 1.6

Density : 1 - 1.25 gmcm^-3

Color : White

Soluble in water.

MP : about room temp.

Transparent.

&

Its not toxic.

Prosperous Regards.
The simple thing it comes to my mind is sugar. Don't know if those properties correspond, maybe you want to make an internet search.
Anyway it's not so easy to answer your question, there are a lot of salts which could have those properties.

Last edited:

lightarrow said:
The simple thing it comes to my mind is sugar. Don't know if those properties correspond, maybe you want to make an internet search.
Anyway it's not so easy to answer your question, there are a lot of salts which could have those properties.

Thank you for your reply... The properties of sugar are extremely similar too... but this mystery compound has two other properties too:

1) it smells a bit like chlorine...

&

2) when heated it doesn't gets concentrated as quickly as sugar!

Once again thanks for contributing.

Low density, melting point near room temperature... possibly some organic solid.

A complete guess because it just popped into my head...stearic acid
If you measure its melting point you may be able to refer to a data sheet.

Dadface said:
A complete guess because it just popped into my head...stearic acid
If you measure its melting point you may be able to refer to a data sheet.

Thanks... but stearic acid has a comparatively high mp...

Could it be Acetic acid mixed up with sugar... it looks quite similar to acetic acid but with lower mp...

1. What is the composition of this crystal?

This is a commonly asked question when identifying a crystal. The composition of a crystal is determined by the elements and compounds that make up its structure. It can be analyzed through various methods such as X-ray diffraction or chemical testing.

2. How can I determine the origin of this crystal?

The origin of a crystal can be determined by its physical and chemical properties, such as color, shape, and internal structure. Some crystals have unique characteristics that can help identify their origin, while others may require further testing or research.

3. Is this crystal a natural or man-made creation?

This is a crucial question when identifying a crystal. Natural crystals are formed in nature over long periods, while man-made crystals are created in a laboratory. The composition and structure of a crystal can help determine its origin.

4. What are the potential uses of this crystal?

Understanding the potential uses of a crystal is essential in the scientific community. Certain crystals have unique properties that make them valuable in various industries, such as electronics, jewelry, and medicine. Further research and experimentation may be needed to fully understand a crystal's potential uses.

5. Can this crystal be dangerous or toxic?

This is a valid concern when handling and identifying crystals. Some crystals can be toxic or harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is essential to handle crystals with caution and to research their properties before handling them. Proper safety measures should always be taken when dealing with potentially dangerous crystals.