What Can You See With a Telescope During the Day?

• Thread starter AG!
  • Start date
In summary, when using a powerful optical telescope to look up at the sky during the day, you would see either space, blue sky, or a black backdrop depending on what you were looking at. Sunspots may appear black, but they are actually just less bright compared to the rest of the sun. The moon or planets may still have a blue backdrop when viewed through a telescope.
AG!
Hi all.

I wondered what you would see if you had a quite powerful optical telescope and looked up into the sky during the day (obviously not at the sun!)?

Would you see space, or blue sky?

I have seen images of the sun on the internet using optical telescopes and where the sun ends, it is black around the sun.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It depends on what you were looking at. You see black around the sun because the exposure time is very short and you're looking through a filter that blocks almost all of the light. Consider that sunspots look black too, but they really aren't. http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/sun/atmosphere/sunspots.html" site says sunspots are as bight as the full moon - they just look dark when compared to how bright the rest of th sun is.

If you were looking at the moon or planets, the backdrop of the sky would probably still be blue (I've actually never tried, but it's on my list...).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Can You See With a Telescope During the Day?

What is a telescope and how does it work?

A telescope is a device used to magnify and enhance the visibility of distant objects. It works by using lenses or mirrors to gather and focus light, allowing us to see objects that are far away.

Can you see the stars and planets during the day with a telescope?

Yes, it is possible to see some stars and planets during the day with a telescope. However, the brightness of the sun makes it difficult to see them clearly. It is best to observe stars and planets at night when the sky is darker.

What other objects can you see with a telescope during the day?

Aside from stars and planets, you can also see the Moon, some bright asteroids, and occasional comets during the day with a telescope. You can also observe the sun with a special filter, which allows you to see sunspots and solar flares.

What are some tips for using a telescope during the day?

When using a telescope during the day, it is important to have a stable mount and to use a low magnification eyepiece. It is also helpful to have a clear and steady atmosphere, so try to avoid observing on hot and humid days. And always be cautious when observing the sun, as it can cause permanent eye damage if not viewed safely.

Are there any specific techniques for observing objects during the day with a telescope?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help with observing objects during the day with a telescope. One is to use a technique called "averted vision," where you look slightly to the side of the object you are trying to see. Another is to use a technique called "blink comparison," where you alternate between looking at the object and looking away, allowing your eyes to adapt and see the object more clearly.