What cannot be less than zero?

• Thread starter tinwhistler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, Work, Power, Weight, and Kinetic energy are all scalar quantities and cannot be less than zero. However, weight is typically defined as a vector quantity, but in the context of this question, it can be considered as a scalar quantity since it refers to the magnitude of the force. Therefore, the answer to the question is Kinetic energy, as it is always positive and cannot be less than zero.
tinwhistler
1. Work, Power, Weight, and Kinetic energy are all scalar quantaties. Which cannot be less than zero?

2. Relevant definitions
Work is a force action through a distance that is in the direction of the force.
Power is the rate at which work is performed.
Weight is the force exerted on a mass as a force of gravity.
Kinetic energy is the energy (ability to do work) a body or particle posseses because of its motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could only find the definitions to assist me. Work can be consumed, so can power, so I'm pretty sure those are not the answer. Then, when there is no movement of particles, there would be no kinetic energy, right? But can there be less than that? Moving backwards? What about weight. It is possible to have an absence of a gravitational force, but can there be less than that? There should only be one answer. I am leaning towards weight, but if someone can clarify for me, and tell me if I'm right, totally wrong, etc, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight is a vector quantity, not a scalar. It does not belong in the problem statement.

PhanthomJay said:
Weight is a vector quantity, not a scalar. It does not belong in the problem statement.

The weight of a body is the magnitude of the net force required to prevent the body from falling freely, as measured by someone on the ground.

So the weight would then equal the magnitude of the gravitational force on the body.

[tex] W = mg [/tex]

Assuming the ground is the inertial reference frame of course. So I believe in this context it should probably be included.

CS

I must admit that I have never seen weight defined as a scalar quantity. In all the situations I have met, weight is a vector.

Hootenanny said:
I must admit that I have never seen weight defined as a scalar quantity. In all the situations I have met, weight is a vector.

I'm in agreement with you guys that weight, strictly speaking, is a vector. I was just saying that in the context the question was written (i.e. what cannot be less than zero), since weight is normally defined as the magnitude it can't be negative.

Not sure why I'm trying to justify a question that is obviously written poorly! :rolleyes:

CS

1. What is the concept of "less than zero" in science?

The concept of "less than zero" in science refers to a value that is smaller or lower than zero. In science, this could refer to a negative number, a value that is below a specific threshold, or a measurement that falls below the expected or standard value.

2. Can something physically exist that is less than zero?

In most cases, it is not possible for something to physically exist that is less than zero. This is because the concept of "less than zero" often refers to a negative value, which does not have a physical presence. However, in certain cases such as temperature and electrical charge, negative values can exist.

3. How is the concept of "less than zero" used in scientific research?

The concept of "less than zero" is used in scientific research to analyze and understand data that falls below a specific threshold or expected value. This can help scientists identify anomalies or discrepancies in their experiments and make adjustments to their theories or methods.

4. What are the implications of a value that cannot be less than zero?

The implications of a value that cannot be less than zero depend on the specific context. In some cases, it may signify the lower limit or boundary of a certain measurement, while in others it may indicate a fundamental law or principle in science. It is important to interpret the concept of "less than zero" in its appropriate context.

5. Is there a limit to how small a value can be in science?

Yes, there is a limit to how small a value can be in science. This is often referred to as the Planck scale, which is the smallest possible scale that can be measured in physics. Beyond this scale, the laws of physics as we know them may not apply, making it impossible to measure values that are smaller than this limit.